Dec 8, 2007
So, I'm out riding yesterday, go into this deep rut at a bad angle and get thrown off, braced the fall with my right hand. When I picked the bike up my hand still worked but I noticed some extreme pain kinda in the bone just above the wrist, I think its called the radius. I rode back to my truck and motion seemed ok at first. But now I can barely even move the wrist, even the fingers feel a little stiff, I typed this using both hands though, so I have that much movement. What do you guys think? The doctor did nothing when I broke my collar bone so I didn't bother to go.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I've broken my right wrist twice over the years. There is a small bone in their called a navicular. From what I've been told it has a hole in the middle like a donut that allows blood vessels to go through. This bone breaks fairly easy when your hand is bent back. Left untreated you can have serous problems.

Rick Johnson broke this bone back in 89' and didn't allow it a long enough heal time. This resulted in bone death and he had to have his wrist fused ending his MX career. To this day his right wrist is still fussed after several attempts to repair it. He has use of his hand and rides for fun while teaching MX in Southern CA. and races off road trucks for Red Bull.

Go get an X-ray and know for sure...

Dec 8, 2007
Hmm. Ok well that scared me bad enough to go to the doctor. The x-rays looked good, she said the swelling and pain was from ligament strain, so I should be able to ride in a couple weeks. :cool:

Rick Johnson came out to our track here, couple months back, he got behind me and I held him off for about 1 lap then he just smoked me and I couldn't even keep up. I told my buddy about it and he told me about the guys wrist being immobile and that he can't really even operate the throttle that well, I felt like a clown.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I met RJ the week before the San Antonio National back in 87 or 88. I used to ride with Danny Storbeck at Howertons track. Unfortunately it's Danny that destroyed RJ's wrist in a practice accident in 89. RJ even went so far as to try and rig a throttle with his left hand but it wasn't successful. He is a great guy that takes time out for everyone. The current crop of top level racers need some charm school.

When I moved to Arizona I couldn't get used to the crappy hard pack clay and flat corners. I got RJ out here for a two day lesson to get me pointed in the right direction. He's still fast and smooth even though his wrist is fused.

Unless your a top level expert rider at your track he was playing around. I'm glad that your X-Rays came back negative, wrist injury's can suck. Let it heal as directed then get out there and have a good time.

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
that happened a buddy of mine while snowboarding, front edge dug into some ice and he did a pretty good superman impression and used his wrist to absorb most of the impact. He was going to leave it heal on his own but his girlfriend nagged him into getting it looked at - turns out a bone in his wrist was cracked - still qualifies as a break - and if he had not gotten it treated properly his wrist would atrophy and deform.

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
i had handguards wrench the crap outta my wrist when i lost control in a sandy burm when i hit a bad rutt

iced it alot, bought a wrist brace and wore it everyday for a month, now i have no afteraffects, always have a brace and ice handy

immobilizing the joint is key, plus if your doing mx, dont have solid handguards, but if you do woods, have em, seen people lose their pinky in the clutch from trees on the handlebars :S

Top Bottom