CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
This is just for the Chadwick portion as the White Rock portion starts today. Blue Thunder (Jason), AndyMStevens (Andy), KC Husky (Pat) and myself all caravaned down-which was awful fun right from the get-go. You know the trip is half of the fun-you know eating junk food in the truck, telling stories and making-well let's just say manly smells.

For those in attendance, we were treated to a most excellent ride-in terms of weather, trail conditions and organization.

Stewart(Missouri AA real fast guy), as well as John and his team of riders from up north had prepared some marked loops that were just a complete hoot.

Saturday consisted of meeting everybody (all great people) and making our way around the vast trail system. The weather was about 60-65 degrees which made for optimum fun factor. The trails consisted of fast two-track, long drawn out granite chute up-hills, creek runs and beautiful scenery. Saturday afternoon, KC Groundhog took us on a brisk sightseeing trip on the other side of the park, which gave us some way-fast berm sections that wound through the creek bottoms. It was cool watching him thread that big ol' CR500 around like a 125. We called it a day at nightfall, ate some much needed steak (protein) and got ready for day two.

Day two we treked out with the Minnesota crew and Stewart for some singletrack. Great stuff! The trails leading to the singletrack were tight and technical, with some gnarlier creek crossings and some snotty small hill sections. Then we blasted some water-filled fire-road sections en-route to more single track. This was off camber, whooped, rooted and just plain fun. After about two more miles of a vague-feeling Honda, I looked down to see a completely flat front tire. Oh well, that just meant I got to try KC Husky's (Pat) ultra cool tire changing set-up. Got the tube changed in about 8 min, waited for the group to get back, took a group photo or two-and it was time to ride again.
A local bud named Rick (WFO Crusty) showed up and took us on some more trail sections that turned out to be a hoot. We hit a section that looked like a bomb had gone off-it just was nasty.

All in all, a most excellent weekend. Thanks John and his crew, Stewart and a special thanks to Jim Cook of Smackover for bring up the tire and tubes. These guys and gals are some of the great people that help make our sport respectable and enjoyable.:cool:

Last edited:

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
SWade covered the good stuff..this place is one of those that you have to ride to appreciate..the scenery and I'm not just talking about at Outback Steakhouse either..the rocks, roots and more rocks..fantastic! The company and weather was great..if you weren't there, you should have been..this was a top notch production and I thank all that were involved. Chadwick has now become top of the list for weekend riding! BTW..the single track rules!:confused:

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
For those of us that were down there on Friday and Saturday, we had a blast. I guess we blew most of the water out of the holes on Friday because I was wet, but Saturday ride was alot better.

Sorry I had to pail out early on Sunday, but the 16 year old rider that was with me who was doing fantastic on his first ride at Chadwick got hung up in a barb wire fence and ended up breaking his wrist Saturday afternoon. It didn't look that bad Saturday evening, but it swelled up big time Sunday morning.

But for 1.5 days of riding, it was a fantastic trip.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by Blue Thunder
..the scenery and I'm not just talking about at Outback Steakhouse either....if you weren't there, you should have been..:

Amen to that YZ brother man:aj:

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
..the scenery and I'm not just talking about at Outback Steakhouse either....if you weren't there, you should have been..:

When you guys come down next time....I can show you the REAL scenery! Clint, this won't be a place for Sammy....even if he does have a fake ID!
:o

I'm glad everyone had a great time. I didn't know about the guy that broke his wrist, though. Tough way to get initiated to "The Rock."

Wade, we had a fun ride after you guys left. Went back to 104 at Mike Kruger's request and had a blast! The green bikes seemed to have a little problem staying upright the last run, though. Sammy was pretty beat at the end of the day and Clint somehow deposited himself and machine updside down into a pile of brush (I missed that one). I can't really talk since I was taken down by a little bitty rock just like Artie Johnson on his tricycle during a Laugh-in episode.

But the most hilarious moment you missed was Donnie trying to rip his rear fender off doing an "extreme" wheelstand after we got back on 171. I looked back just in time to see him running behind the katoom at about 15 mph after it got away from him. :D You CAN get traction on those hardpacked gravel fireroads when you least expect it!

I'll be looking forward to the next escapade, er adventure, we have. Hopefully, I will have my suspension done by that time.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
We've heard rumor of this magnificent black Phantom KTM wheelie of big Don's..a total shame we were not able to see it! I don't think it will be all that long before a few of us make a run back down there for some quality high speed rock riding! BTW, dampers are for wusses!:confused:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by wfocrusty

But the most hilarious moment you missed was Donnie trying to rip his rear fender off doing an "extreme" wheelstand after we got back on 171. I looked back just in time to see him running behind the katoom at about 15 mph after it got away from him. :D You CAN get traction on those hardpacked gravel fireroads when you least expect it!

Well, I did get to see that one. We were on our way back to the main camp ground. Wheels, arms and legs flyin' everywhere.

Yeah 104 was a fun trail. I think Jason is all ate up w/ the singletrack goofball. We'll be back soon, real soon.;)

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Well, go on and git it! Let's get the next trip planned. Jason is like a junkie now with the Chadwick singletrack e-mails. The trailer is about ready and spring is a wonderful time to ride. Let's get er' goin'.

Ok Jason, just got your mail-I'm in.

200woody

Dec 5, 2001
Well I'm glad to see that everyone had a great time, I on the other hand had to work. It's funny to hear about the brush pile (green woody) the wheel stand (Big Don) , because they sure didn't tell me anything about it. I hope everybody still has a little Chadwick LOVE left in them , because I feel I missed a good one. Well I better go for now.
Lets ride Jeff

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The Ride is on-besides my pipe isn't actually flat yet. We'll have to work on that the next time down there. It took a little love tap from Dairy Queen on the way down after Pat and I climbed that beotch of a hill;)

Rick (WFO Crusty) informed me there is actually a line for going up. Funny though, they keep that little gem a local secret.:confused:

Make sure to be in attendance for next year...this is a must do ride.:)

Greenwoody

Dec 6, 2001
Hey WFO,
I kinda forgot to tell Jeff about the brush pile and the "wonder wheelie" I figured I would just tell him about the good stuff. I didn't even tell him about your KTM falling apart on the trail. Good thing team green had tools. If I didn't tell you down there I did want you to know " I had a great time down there" And Ill speek for Sammy and Donny too, they had a great time too! Well I better get back to work.

Lets ride, Clint

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
It looks like we got the best end of it, though. The WARM WUDI turned into the FROZEN WUDI (ouch!) for the rest of the guys that stayed! It got bitterly cold down here from Tuesday on and it was probably worse in White Rock. We've got 6" of snow on the ground right now.

So, my symapathies are with the "northerners" that came all the way down here just to be dealt a face full of their own weather. Unfortunately, Missouri lived up to it's weather reputation.

As for the next trip...I've already been approached by some guys down in TX that want to come up around the middle of April to ride. If that sounds doable, I'll set up a schedule.

And speaking of schedules....I'm posting the upcoming Little Sahara ride for April 18 - 21. We'll have people coming and going all that weekend, so if you want to just stay the weekend, that's kewl. There should be more than enough campsites, but if you've gotta have a hotel room....you'd better make reservations now. :aj:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It was sure fun to meet all you guys. The Chadwick end was for sure the best weather. Only about 10 of us rode Monday at WRM in the mist, sleet and wind. And then there was 3. It got very nice by the end of the week and we found some neat single track here and there. I really liked WRM, too. Big hills, cool vistas, etc. Just over 350 miles on the bike so a great trip.

I'll do a better write up soon but my right hand/arm is in a cast right now and it's a pain to type. Broke a finger fairly badly at Chadwick.

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Jeb.....

Sorry to hear about the hand.....I didn't even know you had injured it! I saw you drive off in the motor home and didn't get to talk to you before you left. Did you do it on the last ride?

I was really thinking about calling in sick that Monday, but I'm sort of glad that I didn't. It must have been bitterly cold down there. Hopefully, next year we'll all be able to take the full tour.

:whiner:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Rick,
I don't see how you missed my hand being hurt. I was whining near and far. :) I broke it midday on Saturday. I knew it was broken instantly. Not from a fall, just a sapling somhow got over the top of my EE BB's and smoked my finger. Finger bleeding out both sides, hand badly swollen, finger at a noticeable dropped down position, etc.

Monday was not a nice day in WRM. Sleet, mist, rain. Tuesday we woke up to a dusting of snow. You didn't miss much there.

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Sorry Jeb, but being an engineer, I usually miss the obvious.....I was out of town on a conference when I happened to read the whole story on TT & Holeshot and saw the pics.

Stewart never mentioned it to me that I can remember, but then I may have not been paying attention. Anyway, I didn't hear you whine once....so you get my vote for the Ironman of WUDI IV. I'd say you sealed it by even attempting to ride in the crappy weather that came through later in the week. It was almost 65 for a high today. Damn Missouri weather....damn Missouri trees!

:mad:

Last edited:

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Rick,
There were many ironmen there. Stewart riding after banging his toes a couple of times, one kid got a broken wrist, etc.

Here's a link to my picture page.

Top Bottom