CHIP

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2000
I am looking at getting a new ride. I have decided to go back to orange. What are all the differences between XC and XC-W besides just the lights? I have been on a four stroke since 2000 but I am thinking of the 300 with or without the "W". I have also considered sticking with the four stroke and riding the 450 XC or XC-W. I had a 400 EXC before, is it still in production :cool: ?

Thanks

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Biggest difference is the transmission. The XC models have a closed ratio tranny while the XC-W models have a wide ratio tranny. For most offroad riding the wide ratio transmission is the way to go.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
It is like the difference between the old MXC to EXC.. lights and wide ratio trans..

I don't know the ratios for sure, but the EXCs had a lower 1st, a higher top gear, and the ones in the middle were the same. So the bike still worked fine on an MX track for most people.. When I ride on a track I never use first, at least not on purpose and I'm just not fast enough to get to top gear..

But out in the trails, the low 1st is great for slippery rock crossings, and the higher top is great on fire roads and open stuff.

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I believe the suspensions are valved differently too. The XC is set up more of Harescrambles/Natural MX, the XC-W is set up for Enduro, trails.

Mar 8, 2007
The XCW no longer come with a headlight, however all the wiring is there for one.
As mentioned the XCW has the wider ratio transmission.
The suspension is much plusher on the XCW.

David Knight won the Last man standing on a 300 XC, he put in a phenomenal ride, blew everyone away. :worship:

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
For anyone looking to street register an XC-W, the electrical system will power a small dual sport type motorcycle horn and yes you can hear it over the engine. Even with the lights on the high beam setting, the brake light on and the taillight functioning there is adequate power to active the horn in a very audible fashion!! :ride:

ggurney

Sep 28, 2006
katoom 300 rider said:
Here you go
http://trailtech.net/helmet_light_kits.html

You can either wire them into your 12 volt system, just dont fall. :yikes:
Or hook a battery pack on your chest protector.
Thanks man, thats a cool sight. I see you ride a 300. I'm thinking about getting one. How do you like it? I was holding off till 08 because I herd that they might give the 300 an e-start. have you herd that? Also it might be a green sticker, but I don't buy that.

Dave_panda

Mod Ban
Aug 4, 2006
ggurney said:
Knight rocks, do you know were they get thoughs helmet mounted lights, or any higher intensity lights.

riding at knight is bad ass we put a flashlight on my 65 back in the day and a milatry head lamp type thing and a led bycycle light thing we called it plan A B C well at the end of the night i only hade one left what do you guys think it was
by the way i have 200 xc now it bad ass it has a rekluse clutch and a bunch of other goodies its an 06 but it was worth it piaa makes lights but i dunno if they make helmet lights pro enduro riders have them tho they look cool

Mar 8, 2007
ggurney said:
Thanks man, thats a cool sight. I see you ride a 300. I'm thinking about getting one. How do you like it? I was holding off till 08 because I herd that they might give the 300 an e-start. have you herd that? Also it might be a green sticker, but I don't buy that.

Coming off a WR400, it feels so light and flickable, you can change the power valve springs and change the "hit" From mild to wild.
You can lug it, but fan the clutch and you better be holding on :yikes:
For a big 2 stroke it starts VERY easy, and when jetted properly it will idle great. I really don't see where I would have to have a E start, except in those certain precarious situations!
I rode it all last year in gnarly single track conditions, without any failures, the only issue was the stock expansion chamber is very thin and took a beating, I replaced that with a FMF Gnarly and a Eline carbon fiber guard, haven't even had a chance to start the bike since the additions, I have been riding the WR in the snow.
Being my first KTM I boned up on how to set the suspension, it was a little harder to dial in compared to the Yamaha, but it feels good, even our suspension guru 1 click Mick took a ride on it this fall after riding everyone else's bikes in the group back to back, including bikes that had their suspensions revalved, mine is stock except for a rear spring rate change, and he liked mine the best, I was stoked. I want to get 42 rate springs for the front to balance it out.
It's a great do it all bike, if you have a chance take a ride on one, thats what sold me.

Mar 8, 2007
Real easy
There are three springs
Red= Power now! :yikes: (thats what I'm running)
Yellow equals= good overall power, a little later hit
Green= Very late hit, almost takes it all out

Just 2 bolts on the powervalve cover, and switch the spring, a 10 minute job.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
So, if you rode typical east coast trails - tree roots, mostly single track, tight trails with only an occasional railtrail or logging road - would you suggest the XC or XC-W?

Top Bottom