Verticalkd

Sep 21, 1999
I'm finally done with my KDX and am looking to buying a '89 XL250, for the purpose of relaxed trails and forest, plus commuting purpose. Any one has any comments?

KM.
'90 TZR250 3MA
'89 KDX200R

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
It really depends on how far you're commuting, and if it's surface roads or highway.

The smaller XL is fine for about 10 miles of pavement. Wait, let me revise that - the first 5 miles are comfy, the last your butt is numb. Any more pavement needs to be cut with at least an equal amount of dirt!

Top speed on the XL is about 68 to 70. They're geared high.

For an exploration vehicle, they're great (although a converted XR is better).

Verticalkd

Sep 21, 1999
When you mean the bike is geared high, do you mean it's the tranny gears that are higher when compared to the XRs or that the sprockets sizes differs?
Also, how is the overall power of the bike?

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
It depends on the year of the bike. The XR 250 L, which is the newest, has a taller 5th and 6th gear internally.

They all have taller external gearing (I think one size larger on the front sprocket, and maybe one tooth more on the rear).

The bike has decent power in stock form. They will go anywhere you want them to, but would have problems on tough hillclimbs, mud or sand washes.

Compared to a modern (1997 or later) XR 250R, they have about 4 less horsepower in stock form, and weigh about 18 pounds more (I don't know this exact number - maybe someone else does).

Top Bottom