brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
my xr 100 thread

i just bought a honda xr 100 and when i pull the clutch lever it is rock solid any ideas

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Did you check if the cable moves freely in it's housing?

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
ya it moves freely the clutch wasnt hooked up when i got it and it was drained of oil and in storage think it might just be stuck from being dry also im not sure how the clutch cable attaches that might be it too

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
Oh Crap! i fixed the clutch problem it was missing a piece was all. But i went and test drove it around and while i was riding i started hearing a terrible noise coming from the head so i turned the bike off and then walked it home i pushed on the kick start with my hand and it was stiff(seized?) so i took the spark plug out and filled the cylinder with atf and let it cool down i the saw a puddle of oil under the bike and saw the oil drain plug had fallen out whoops and after it cooled down i pushed on the kick start again with my hand and wasnt seized anymore and i have a spare oil drain plug is it still safe to drive?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Define safe. Will it run again? There is a good chance it will, it's an XR. Did you cause damage to bearings, rings, etc... that could cause a very expensive failure? There is a good chance yes. Should you find somebody that has a clue as to how to take things apart and inspect the piece? Yes. Can you do it yourself? I have no idea but based on the posts I've seen it would be a good idea to find somebody else. If you choose to do the work get a factory service manual.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
i took the valve cover off last night and there was oil on every thing but the cam lobes and you could tell they got hot by how they looked but they did not feel grooved or any thing i started it up and it ran fine smoked a little but im sure that was from the atf ill start it up today and see if she smokes or not

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Tic, tic, tic, tic....

BOOM $$$$

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
eh im sure its fine i rode for about an hour yesterday and it sounded fine i adjusted the valves and tightened the cam chain didnt notice any unusual noises it is actually quieter now that the cam chain is tight and best of all it doesnt smoke not even when i rev it all the way up:)
now im wondering if i should swap this motor into my 1999 cr80 frame it is already modified to take a taller and longer 1982 cr80 engine i just need to find some build pics or how to's so far no one has done a how-to i would love it if some one gave me a link

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
sold my cr80 and bought a tt600 so i cant do that cr/xr conversion, it started to look alot harder than i thought it would be...so anyways i went ahead and did the aussie lift on my xr100 today.
i was looking on other posts and forums and it says with the aussie lift you have to have the chain alot looser and some people said to get a chain roller but once it had been lifted I went to check the tension, the chain had gained about an inch or two of play on its own and looked too loose, So should i get a roller or just tighten it up and where would i put one? any thing to worry about with the lift?

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
i don´t know that particular model conversion but running a very tight chain with such a increased travel can cause as silmple increased chain and sprockets wear or as bad as cracked crankcases. on the other hand running the chain looser may cause the chain to jump out from the sprockets, mainly on tight turns.

i would go on the roller thing, is not hard at all, just a simple weld. :cool:

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
hey guys i just put new rings in my motor and when was putting it back together the cam chain was loose and i accidently turned the motor over and skipped some teeth on the bottom cam sprocket and need some help finding the timing

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
hey i got the motor to run and i think i have it timed right but im kinda afraid to rev it up i found a thread that said "the cam has to have both lobes pointing down equally and the piston has to be at tdc" but for some reason when i did that my exhaust valve kept hitting the piston so i turned the cam and cam gear (advanced it) so that the exhaust lobe is touching the rocker arm at tdc and that fixed the problem and now it runs but im afraid that since the lobes are no longer even there maybe issues at high rpm or is that not problem

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
Ya i went for a ride today and i cant seem to rev it up before the rebuild it felt i like i could rev for ever there was just no limit but now it cuts out at high rpm and feels like im hitting a rev limiter

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
It sounds like some one else has started on dirt bikes, with hardly a clue and some gas. Now we shall see how thick your skin is. Thanks for sharing, Vintage Bob

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
with the flywheel marking tdc (T in the flywheel) adjust the cam gear with the mark in vertical position, with the mounting holes parallel to head face.
simple as that...

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
do some flywheels have an F instead of a T because mine only has an F but it does have 2 other tic marks that arent lettered and does the T line up with a mark on the case, i did however get the mount holes parallel to the head and im quite certain it was at tdc is there more than one tdc or are they all the same, it ran better but im starting to wonder after taking another ride if it is a carb problem could it be getting too much gas and bogging out or is it a matter of slide height

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
the mark must line up when the piston is at tdc, check that with some fine screw driver on the spark plug hole.
the F stands for full advance.

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
okay pretty sure i already had the mark lined up with the piston
just gonna assume or pretend its the carb now because i dropped the needle all the way down and it revs higher and rides better but it still kinda has some high rpm issues so im gonna play with the a/f screw, Is it usual for a motor to want less fuel after a rebuild cause thats what i think is happening?

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
i was riding around today and noticed there is alot of vibration when you get past 1/4 throttle and i have this rubber pad that's about 2x3inch and 1/2inch thick it came with the bike when i got it i never knew what it was for and am wondering if it went between the engine and the frame somewhere

Top Bottom