RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
Just went ridding in the nastiest crap in the world on my brothers XR 200. My dad has a KLX 300 and it seemed to be having more trouble then my XR200. I just want to what you think of the XR 200. Also, does anyone have a 1994 or latter for sale in good condition?Thanks in advance.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yes, it is a good bike for trails that don't have big hills or deep sand . Runs forever and starts well. I don't have one for sale though.
Kevin

------------------
McCune's Scottish Pub
Brews That You Can Chew!

philb

Oct 28, 1999
i have an 87 XR200R, i love this bike! it runs forever, starts on 1 kick every time. while it may be down on power compared to other bikes, it is a great trail bike. i ride in nasty rocky trails, in many circumstances, i am much faster thru the woods on the li'l XR than on my KX250! in fact, i loved it so much, i sold the mighty KX and bought another XR! you couldn't pay me to sell it!
smile.gif

------------------
philb

92 XR280R
87 XR200R

XRBiker220

Feb 25, 2001
i have a 2000 xr 200 it is the best i dont think it needs more power at all just advance the timing take out the baffle. and pull the big rubber thing out of the top of the airbox. that will make it go(trust me). If u have some money get a suppertrapp exaust. the best bike there is. love it

Ted

Mar 25, 2000
I have 2 1988 models and love them. I normally ride a KTM 300 EXC but when it is rainy or snotty out, I'll take the XR200 everytime.

Ted

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I guess I must give a differing opinion. I feel the old tech XR200R is a dinosaur. It has really small flexy forks. It has very limited suspension and does not perform well in whoops. In addition the engines tend to wear out camchains over time. The engines are very low and mellow on power and that is nice for trails. The bike is very light and easy to handle. Just do not try to motocross it as you will be at the very end of the pack.

Chris

------------------
94 Husky 360 2 stroke, Street legal,(gotta clear my throat now)! Ported engine, FMF pipe, kehin PWK carb, full knobbies, Pro Action Showa suspension, Pro tapers. 50HP

philb

Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by cujet:
I guess I must give a differing opinion. I feel the old tech XR200R is a dinosaur. It has really small flexy forks. It has very limited suspension and does not perform well in whoops. In addition the engines tend to wear out camchains over time. The engines are very low and mellow on power and that is nice for trails. The bike is very light and easy to handle. Just do not try to motocross it as you will be at the very end of the pack.

Chris

the XR200 is not designed to MX, yes you will kill it if you try. yes it is an older design, but BULLETPROOF RELIABLE- 105mm BULLETPROOF design it is. in nasty conditions, is a hard bike to beat. my 87 and i have completed many 50 mile + rides and keep up with the XR650R, the YZ250, the TT350, the KDX220, YZ400F, the KTM300, etc, that ride in our group.

------------------
philb

92 XR280R
87 XR200R

[This message has been edited by philb (edited 04-01-2001).]

XRBiker220

Feb 25, 2001
i also have rode with larger bikes mostly 250's and i usually can climb hills faster and not spin and get stuck as much i love the suspention for trails(mx?? i dont think so) but i very much love the bike and dont think it needs and hi tech stuff. Even though it is air cooled it has never overheated or got hot enough to lose power

teknoterd

Jun 28, 2001
no offence to all you guys who are in love with the XR200, i my self own a 2000 model XR200 and i hate it, i dont no whether i just got a bad one or i just wrecked it and i have found the suspension is a joke (front and back) infact i even snapped the rear shocker clean in half off of a jump, i replaced the fork seals about 6 times before i gave up on even fixing them, i seized the engine. although i will give credit that it did start again after i changed the plug and replaced the oil, but it ran smoky and burned oil, also it burned oil from the day i got it,(yes i did buy it new). also i seized a rear brake drum for no apparant reason. i certainly no i wont be buying another XR.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Hey RM80Kid how tall are you, If you are tall enough just get an XR250R, Just as fun or funner than the 200 in the woods and when you come to a hill it will go up much easier than the 200, The 250 still has smooth power like the little 200 just more of it, And there is a world of difference in the suspension department, Alot more travel and it works so much better. And I'm sure you can find a 1994 or later XR250R for pretty cheap, I have a 91 and I LOVE IT, I got a uni Airfilter,Top of Airbox cut out and 2 holes drilled in the side and a Supertrapp IDS2 exhaust and mine hauls ARSE through the trails. Good Luck,Matt

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
teknoterd

Sounds like your too big for it, no offense but I beleive its kinda hard to sieze and xr, unless you dont know how to shift ;) of course I also had an xr 200. And I could beat about any bike or quad in the my area in the woods. and i was way to big for it at 6'2 250 ;)

Its not Made to JUMP

Last edited:

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Joepro9 is right about that, teknoterd if you jumped the 200 and broke the rear shock then thats your faught not the bikes, The 200 is not made to jump much of anything or it will bottom out and possibly break something.

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
The 200 I rode yesterday totally stock, wouldnt even pull the front wheel up in first. I was suprised that it was so slow, so I started looking for restrictors. We pulled the exhaust baffle and airbox restrictor, and the bike was wheeling over 20 foot long foot deep puddles in 3rd gear. The power is definetly there, you just need to bring it out.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i pretty much agree with the pro-XR crowd. the 200 is a great bike for what it is. however, XR400man is right; if a xr250r will fit you, get one instead of a 200. for that matter, if a 250 will fit you then so will the xr400(which is the finest trailbike ever produced in the history of mankind).

as far as wanting a 94 or newer, forget that. i don't think honda has significantly changed any of the XR's in 15 years. you're better off looking for a well maintained, low hour XR of any year.

just my $.02

jeremiah

gator_in_va

Sep 4, 2001
Since the original question was "Is the XR200 a good woods bike" I can only offer this:

For woods/tight trails/northeast US...they are great in the woods. They aren't made for the MX track...they aren't made to win cross cournty/desert races. They do woods/tight stuff very, very well.

I own both a KLX300 and as my backup, a '90 XR200. Yes, the motor is getting a little tired (but at my size = 6' & weight = 225+) I'm too big. So I take it out when I know I'll be taking it easy. The one thing I love about both bikes is the light, "flickable" feel to them. Getting through nasty/tight woods is much easier than on an MX bike. Riding when there is 3" of saturated clay under 3" of snow can actually be do-able on these mild mannered thumpers...conditions that are about the same as trying to ride through a tub of grease :) ...conditions that posed serious problems even for a KDX that was running a rev pipe. :(

How one of the other posters (sorry - forgot his name...) managed to sieze the engine, bust a shock and go through SIX sets of fork seals in such a short amount of time is beyond my comprehension. If you check the oil before every ride, change it every other ride & you're set...as for blowing the seals & busting the shock...sounds like someone was abusing the crap out of their XR...

But back to your comment/question: Yeah, I think it's a great WOODS bike.
:)

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
If you get a 1990 or older you will get a full travel version. In 1991 they cut the travel 2 inches.

I have a 1990, and while I like my cr125 much better, I would much rather be on the xr in trails. The Bike does its job well. The front end is pretty stable (pump up the air forks to 10psi, this helps a bunch) and the engine is actually suprisingly potent.

If you ride trails, this bike is great to have.

Top Bottom