slyder911

May 24, 2012
Hi! I just bought a 1991 honda xr 200r and i want to do a transmission oil change . Since i dont know much about dirt bikes , i cant seem to find the drain plug and where i fill it up after :bang: . Can somebody help ?
Thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Last edited:

slyder911

May 24, 2012
Thanks Rich i'll be sure to get me that owner and service manual but in the meen time the only drain plug a see is the engine oil drain plug that is on the same side as the fill hole you mentioned, its a 13/16 bolt with a spring and a screen inside of it that i already used to drain the engine oil and i filled it up by the dip stick hole.
Im trying to find the transmission drain plug ....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The engine and transmission have a common crankcase and share the same oil sump on these engines. So the oil strainer you removed is the correct, and only drain plug for the engine. Capacity is just under 1 quart.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, on many of the Hondas of that era you don't screw the dipstick back in to check the oil level. You just stick the dipstick in the opening and rest the cap on the outside of the threads.

Not 100% sure about your XR200, though.

BTW, I bought the factory shop manual for my last Honda and it was excellent and well worth the money.

slyder911

May 24, 2012
OK ! Thanks alot you guys , that clarifys alot of things , so when i drain the oil from my engine i also drained the transmission ?! So its a good thing that i didnt go for a long ride since i STILL have problems shifting in neutral. So today i will give it some well needed trany fluid before i do anymore damage :yikes: it might solve my shifting problem: the reason im doing the oil changes.
Thank you verry much and ride safe

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
The engine and tranny share oil. If you filled the engine with oil you also filled the tranny. Check your clutch lever free play.

slyder911

May 24, 2012
_JOE_ said:
The engine and tranny share oil. If you filled the engine with oil you also filled the tranny. Check your clutch lever free play.

ok but how do i check the oil level in the tranny ?

slyder911

May 24, 2012
ok thanks Joe that helps me understand a little more about my bike , but that didnt solve my problem . The reason i did an oil change is that i cant shift it into neutral and when its hot i have a hard time putting it in first gear and i thought it would help and it didnt, any idea why im having problems with the gears like that ?
Im thinking i might have to call a mecanic to fix the problem and they're not cheap :yell:

HondaBrat

Jan 2, 2002
The drain should be on the left side right in front of the shifter.
The fill is by the kickstarter.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Start by checking the free play in the clutch lever. You should have a small amount of movement, about a quarter inch at the end of the lever. If that's good you might have a clutch wear issue, particularly the basket, or some other transmission problem like bent shift forks. Always start with the simple stuff like cable adjustment and go from there. I take it the bike had this problem when you got it?

slyder911

May 24, 2012
yess it was like that when a bought it , but i didnt realize it until a got home with it and tryed it ... thanks Joe for the advise thats exactly what i'll do , start with the simple stuff and work my way up to the most (expensive) things

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
99% sure part #6 is worn. Buy #6 and #10 to fix your shifting problems... It is an easy fix
OK... the OEM parts list picture for the shift drum didn't come through. Makes my reply useless. So... go to rocky mountain atv/mc / Honda OEM parts / '91 XR200r / shift drum and you will see the above listed parts.

Top Bottom