bebalo

Mar 30, 2002
Hey,
I'm getting bored with my XR 200 so my dad has agreed to buy me a bigger XR. We were looking at the 250 at first, but the dealership has a two year old XR 400 in immaculate condition for a steal of a deal.

My question is this: Will the XR 400 be too much bike for me? I'm a 5'11" 16 year old who weighs 150 pounds. I also have around 4-5 years of experience on bikes.

Also, what's the peak power output on both of the bikes?

Answers to one or both of my questions would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.

winter_rules

Apr 15, 2002
I just bought a '96 XR250 about two months ago (I'm not exactly a novice...I've driven just about every other kind of toy). I love it!!! I'm also 16, but 6'2", 175lbs. I don't know about the weight difference between the two, but I do know that I love the power of the 250. I suspect that the main difference is the power and I find the 250 great in EVERY situation. :) I can take just about any hill in 4th if I can get a run at it, otherwise 2nd and 3rd are excellent. As far as I know, the 250 and 400 are essentially the same bike since 1996 so hopefully this is comparing apples to apples. The 250 is a great bike (!!!) but if you have a great deal on a 400, go for that! You can always grow into it. Best of luck and HAVE FUN with whatever you decide on!!!! *Winter Rules*

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
bebalo,
After a 10 year hyatus I got back into riding after taking a few turns on my best friends YZ400F. I know there are quite a few differances from an XR but here is my 2 cents. #1 you are 16 y/o. and will easily grow into it. #2 from what you stated you have the experiance to handle it. Besides you took your time to learn on the 200 right? Do the same with the 400 and ride it! Besides you may not grow out of this one as quick! I now have a YZ125 and I really should have waited untill I could afford a YZ400/426F. Oh well I'm getting one next year any way. I'll keep the 125 as a project/bribe bike. The bribe part is to get others addicted and join DRN! :p :)

Hope this helps! ;)
Happy Trails! :aj:
PK

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
I think the peak HP on the 400 is around 27 in stock form. I don't know about the 250.

If you've grown bored with the 200, there is no way I would get a 250 in place of the 400. You are big enough and will easily be able to handle the power of the 400 with a little practice. I just started riding again last year after about 15 years of no dirt bikes and I had no problem adjusting to my YZ426 which puts out around 46-47.

If you get a good price on a real clean used 400 you could spend a few bucks to get a high quality o-ring chain and sprockets and a few other things that will minimize your maintenance time.

Top Bottom