CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
Ok I am trying to decide what bike to get a 02 XR 250R with a 280kit or a 02 XR 400R I am making it a dualsport bike but will be riding off road about 70% of the time in very tight technical woods trails with sharp hair pin turns and very steep hills, also some fast fire roads. The think is I am am not sure if the XR 250 can go highway speeds I think it would be the better bike but I need it go like 120 kmh.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I had a '90 XR280 dual sport, and it would top out at approx. 135-140 kmh if you had enough pavement. However, it was not comfortable to cruise on the highway in excess of 90-100 kmh and acceleration above that speed was weak.

The extra power of the 400 will be nice on the highway as well as the very steep hills and fireroads. I like the 250 in the tight woods, but would probably go with the 400 if you anticipate any highway use.

It sounds like you have your mind made up on an XR, but you might also consider a 331cc big bore KLX300. It weighs and costs about the same as an XR280, but has more power.

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
GET A DRZ400! Only like 50 clams more at the dealer, (than XR400) and wayyyy more power than any of these bikes! BTW, my bike tops out @ 95 mph, gets up there very quickly. Gotta love that magic button too!
:p

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
how bulletproof is the DRZ compared to the XR? does the DRz have grease nips like the XR is the more maintanace with DRZ?

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
Only time will really tell how bullet proof the DRZ is, but I have about 2500+ miles on mine, all hard off-road miles too. Not a problem yet, all I have done is change the oil, oh, maybe every other or every 3 rides. This is not required of course, the manual only recommends it being changed every 60 hours, along with the filter methinks. I have not even needed the valves to be adjusted yet!Yes, the DRZ does have grease nipples, or Zerk fittings as they are called.
The drz has requires about the same amount of maintenance as the XR, maybe a tid bit more because of liquid cooling; which I think is better, having liquid cooled.
Another plus about the DRZ is how quiet it is in stock trim. Of course most people (including me) have placed louder high-performance pipes on, but it's not necessary.
If you do ever get the DRZ, email me at MttGrmn@aol.com for some kick-ass mods that are really cheap- adds about 2-3 hp, or if you are just curious.
Overall, I would highly receommend the DRZ. It has never let me down and has killer power, especially when compared to the XR400, even w/ a big bore kit. Good luck, hope this helps some! ;)

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
hey thanks I think DRZ might be better for me aspecaily because I am just geting off a 01 CR 250R. I haven't really thought about the bike but it sound good and the same price as the xr is good too. ;)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I ride with a friend who has his XR 250 street legal. It's an 87 I believe, and it goes good on the rode, but once he hits a hill climb on the trial his gearing is so high he has some issues.
With that said the 400 would be a good choice, because of the extra power. I'm a big honda fan, but theDRZ sounds like a good match, plus from what I have read here is that they seem a lot lighter on the trail. Plus it comes ready from the dealer. :cool:

Top Bottom