biker

Sep 22, 2000
I own a 96 XR 400. The only power mods are a pumper carb and XR's Only pipe. Sunday I got to ride a totally stock DRZ 400 for the first time. The DRZ did have Moose Hi-cr bend bars mounted on it.
I liked the DRZ much better for turning. It felt more like an mx bike (narrower) for flicking it through the trees. The XR had more low-end grunt, for lifting the front wheel over ruts and logs. I did miss this while riding the DRZ. It had the stock pipe, so maybe an aftermarket pipe would help the low end. I could really get used to the e-start button also.
I think I'm going to try the SRC fork brace to see if that helps the XR turn better. Another thing on the XR is that the handle bars seem extremely low while trying to stand and ride, and I'm only 5' 9" tall. I think I'm also going to go with a set a cr hi-bend bars and see how that works.
Overall I liked the xr power better and the DRZ handling better. It's about time for honda to update its frame. Hopefully that will happen in the next couple of years.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
The DRZ is a more up to date technology wise(suspension and motor). There are plenty of mods that will give you that power that you want. I hear that with just opening up the air box, rejetting and cutting the baffles out of the stock pipe realy wake the bike up. I was riding with a guy that had one on sunday and thats all that was done to it. I did not ride it, but it did blast me in a large sandy wash(I was tapped out in 5th or 6th). That button would sure be a blessing on the trail. IMO I would take a DRZ over a XR any day.

weekendtoy

Jun 2, 2001
XR vs DRZ

It's funny you say you liked the power of the XR better on a dyno graph I saw the XR was below the DRZ everywhere in the rpm band and after 7k forget it.A totally stock DRZ will have no problem taking on a fully moded XR.I'll let you know after sunday as my DRZ has an aftermarket airbox,jetting,and the can opened up and my bud has an XR with a full Yoshi system and jetting with K&N filter I'm fully expecting to dust him off.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Interesting observations, Biker. First hand impressions, especially from side by side rides through "real" terrain, mean a lot more than hearsay. Do DRZ's have newer technology? Yep. Does that mean they're a better choice for everybody? Nope. The XR still has a place -- a BIG place, judging by its sales.

biker

Sep 22, 2000
I wasn't anywhere that I could open the DRZ up into the higher RPM's. It was hilly rocky technical type of riding. The XR definately had more snap to lift the front end. Maybe it's the mods I made to the bike. I know it really woke the XR up, compared to stock. I don't know which bike I would buy, if I was buying a new one. I don't think a buyer would be disapointed with either bike.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
One of my riding buddies has a stock non-e start DRZ and another has a lightly modified '00 XR400. The XR does have more low end power, but the DRZ is better in every other way, IMO. Both are heavy and need some suspension help (less so for the DRZ). When the trail opens up, it is obvious the DRZ has a horsepower advantage.

My personal preference between the two is strongly for the DRZ, but some guys can really fly on those XR400's! It all comes down to rider ability and what you feel comfortable riding and owning.

borsy

May 17, 2000
Just removing the air box lid and rejetting wakes up the low end on a DRZ
then if you get an aftermarket pipe she really jumps and screams to the
rev-limiter, I put a stroker exhaust on mine and totally love the power.
The XR which I had before my DRZ is a great bike, the DRZ is a little more
serious if you want to race enduros, although alot is the rider no doubt,
I had an XR350 that I raced 35+ class at a motocross track and all the guys
on CR's and KX would snicker when I came up to the line, but after the race
was done and I usually ended up with a 2nd or 3rd, they would all say
man that XR sure can run, now they say that about the DRZ.

xrsforever

Nov 2, 2000
I have had several XR's,all with the SRC brace. Don't look for the brace to help turning. It helps mostly in the whoops,roots and fast sections on stability.

May 2, 2001
biker

It was interesting to hear your comparisions. I also have a 96 xr400 and have been looking at different bikes and been leaning the drz direction

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
Biker,
A really cheap way to get more "low end grunt" in the DRZ is to drop to a 13 tooth countershaft sprocket. You will have no problem getting the front end up.

I am running a totally stock DRZ with the 13t I have never run out of power yet. You can normally run a gear higher too.

I ride tight gnarly stuff too.

Brian

Buell

Dec 1, 1999
livtoryde125 - Where's the E button on the WR or YZ400F? I can't seem to find it! :p

I owned a '98 YZ400....It could be the biggest PITA to start at times....I broke a kick starter once during a race and YES I KNOW THE DRILL:confused:

The YZ/WR's were great bikes but they are already dated by weight and their lack of either an E Button or an automatic decompressor, ala C-dale, KTM, DRZ, Honda, Burg :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom