Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I often wonder if there is any one in the world these days that still rides the xr 600. I know these bikes are not "sci-Fi techno" examples, but my best friend swears that the xr 600 is/was the best bike ever made. IT will outrun anything, climb any hill/mountain like a billy goat, cruise single track all day in first gear or do a 100 miles per hour on open roads, absorb hits from rocks at any speed. (My friend's bike has never let him down either, even though he never does maintenance to the bike)
My best friend and I have road literally every riding spot from Central to Eastern Kentucky for the last five years and I bet I've not even seen a xr 600 besides my friends.
I would appreciate any replies from current xr 600 riders.
Redrider.
P.s. I used to have a 1996 xr 400 which was no where close to the performance of the 600.

RedRyder

Mar 29, 2001
Yeah, there's not a lot of 6-hunnys around here. I know of one, though. My uncle recently bought a '93 XR600, and it is indeed a potent bike. I've ridden it a bit, and although it is a bit heavier than what I'm used to, it makes a good bike for what we ride, although a XR400 would probably be ideal. Third gear is about all you need. Starts easier than I thought it would, but sometimes it gets a little grumpy.
Were in Perry County, and there is about 4-5 of us who go riding every weekend. Mostly trails and logging roads, but I have some top secret single track. Where do you ride? Redbird? Livingston?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
The 600 is modern compared to my xr500r. A front disc brake, 4 valves, 2 carbs, what more do you need. The big block power will scare you to death before you use it all. It is nice to be able to lug it around just off idle and thump up and over anything in the way. These bikes can be found for low $ and the value is very good.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
I'm in Knott County. We ride Redbird about every other weekend but ride most other places in an area known as "Quicksand". We will have to hook up some time and ride. I've ridden Livingston, McKee et. All these places are great. Would you happen to know a character by the name of Harvey Whitaker. (You've probably been passes by him numerous times).
I'm thinking about selling my cr 250 (1999) and buying a real trail bike like the Xr 600 or 650.
Redrider

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I've never ridden the 600's, but I did get a 650R a few months ago. Moving up from my 400, I've been pleasantly surprised by the 650R. The weight is not an issue until you try to put it up on the stand. Handling is superb and the power/torque is just mind boggling. I don't see any bigbore XR's where I ride either. People just don't know what they are missing with the bigbore thumpers, I love 'em.

P. Pinestraw

Jun 28, 2001
Would You Like To Buy Mine?

I just switched over to the CR450F & there's no comparison. The 450 has it beat in EVERY category! In reality, I love & respect my old 600 immensely. I owe a HUGE debt of gratitude to it and am very sentimental about it. That old bike finished probably 95 out of a 100 races (enduros, X-Countries, & Hare Scrambles) and I really put it thru hell. That 1994 paid for itself MANY times over & I'll always appreciate it. I cut my racing teeth on that bike. In the end, the valves kept getting out of adjustment & stretching the timing chain until the valves got swallowed. This happened about 3 times in 6 mos. When the CRF came out in Nov., I jumped on one! I'm not sure whether to fix up the XR & sell it, fix it up & keep it, or to just sell it as is & let someone else fix it up or part it out. It's loaded with aftermarket stuff like A-Loop, Scott's parts, hot start, etc. -- too much to mention. It would be a good project for someone who likes to restore kick-@$$ bikes from the 90s era.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
Hey Snagglexr4,
I used to own a 1996 xr 400 and moved to a 1999 cr 250 for woods riding. The cr is good and all but I'm always buying things to make in woods ready and comfortable on rock and roots. I've finally come to the realization that I need to buy a woods bike for woods riding. The xr 650 is the only bike I will consider.

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
I have had my 650r for a couple months now...there is no comparison to this bike! Snagglexr4, have you uncorked yours? I hope so. It makes a HUGE difference on this bike.
Redrider...can't go wrong with the 650...needs a little setup for the woods though.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Of course my 650R is uncorked. I have a WB E-series, UNI filter (old style) with heavily modified backfire screen, 68s/175 jets and B53E needle in 3rd position at sea level. I also have a pair of Renthal CR Hi's, and I put on a 13T front sprocket for woods work. The lower gearing makes the bike 10X better for tighter trails, but costs very little on top end. Everybody says the 650R sucks in the woods. I have to say, the 650R will do everything my old 400 did, and LOTS more, even more now with the lower gearing.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
Just got back from the shop with the 2002 xr650. As expected its raining cats and dogs in Kentucky right now. Can't ride. I'm really looking forward the first real ride. The guys at the shop said that I could "uncork" the bike with honda kit for about $200 and get 10-15 more horse. Did you guys buy the kit? If so what did it set you back?
Redrider

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Yes, DEFINATELY get the Power Up kit to uncork it......the bike is slower than a stock XR600 in its choked off form. The kit includes a different intake manifold (the stock one is restricted to about 20mm), a different needle, a 175 main jet, and a higher-flowing exhaust insert. Couple hundred bucks is about the going rate.

FYI, some guys have been drilling out the insert in the stock exhaust, as seen here. http://www.xr650r.net/ This site will also describe the uncorking procedure.

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
i drilled out the tip on mine (to save about 95 bucks) with a 34mm holesaw...it breathes much better than stock and is not very loud either. The rest of the parts you should be able to get for under 50 bucks.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
Hey Trivial,
Did you also change the jetting from the stock main (125) to 172 and also raise the clip?
I appreciate your replies being a newbie to big bores and all
Redrider

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
On my 650, I went with the powe up needle (forgot the number), with the clip in the middle, and a 175 main jet (I ride mostly at sea level). Runs like a champ!

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
What did these mods to the gas mileage of your 650? I recently talked to a guy who with stock everything on his 650 rode 75 miles without going on reserve but after the power up kit rode only 53 miles before having to go to reserve. Similiar experiences? Could there be a problem?
Redrider

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I get pretty bad mileage too. Just a little over 50 miles before reserve sounds like what I get. I only rode my bike bone stock for about 5 minutes, so I dunno how the fuel mileage is stock.

Forget about fuel economy.....just put the power up kit on. Anybody that buys a 650 and leaves it showroom stock should have bought an XR400.

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
I am running a 68s pilot jet, power-up needle in the middle clip, and a 172 main. I am still getting a little high end stumble, but I attribute this to the cold weather we are having (havent had a riding day over 50 since I uncorked it). I also pulled both of the plugs from the airbox and put on the competition manifold. Made a huge difference in the way it ran...I once heard it put...the difference between getting hurt and total annihilation. It ruduced gas milage significantly, but it is not really a huge deal to me...you can always get a larger tank.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
Yes, I would guess she guzzles the gas almost 2x as fast as a 400. But at the same time she puts out nearly 2x the power and torque. I love to be lugging along in 3rd or 4th, jerk the throttle and just light up that rear tire in the sand. Ol' Betsy is a beast when uncorked, she don't like it any other way. Good luck.

Redrider

Nov 2, 1999
The last question (I promise)
I also hear about people who have had problems with the bike overheating. Have any of you had this problem. If so, what type of riding where you doing at the time. Also if you had the problem, what did you do to remedy the situation.?
Thanks again
Redrider

trivial

Feb 14, 2002
I have never overheated...but I have only had her a few months. They say that the 68s pilot jet helps with the overheating. Other solutions that I have heard...different radiator cap, lose the thermostat, Evans coolant rather than water. If you REALLY want to know about this bike, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/XR650R/?yguid=72687555 . There is a wealth of information here dealing with every issue know to this bike. Sit back, relax, and take some time to browse the archives, they will tell you what you want to know!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
My 650 must be a factory fluke or something.....I've never had a problem with overheating. Even while riding in the sand dunes, the coolant level just fluctuates between the high and low marks in the overflow tank. The one and only time its gone over the high mark (went about 1/8" over) was on a 90 degree day, where I was torquing through a boulder field at about walking speed. I've still got the stock radiator cap on mine too.

I've had mine since June of last year, its just been a really dang good bike. :)

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
As I understand it, the vast majority of overheaters do so when riding the bike stock, completely plugged up with lean jetting. After uncorkage and rejetting, overheating is rare. I ride some tight, slow trails, and have never overheated my bike.

There is also an issue about the clutch bushing galling up onto the basket. Again, seems to happen to those who really abuse the clutch. With the stock gearing, clutch work (but not abuse) is necesary in tight trails, a 13T front sprocket help matters greatly. There is a new hardened bushing with more oil holes available for cheap and easy preventative maintenance.

Top Bottom