00KX250Byrd

Dec 15, 2007
The sparkplug on my sons XR 80 seems to "get black" after a ride or two. Then it makes it hard to start. I can remove the plug, give it a good cleaning w/WD40, reinstall, and it fires right up. My question is reading the plug, Why does it have a lot of carbon build-up? I've finally got my 2T(KX250) jetted correctly, and it does not foul plugs. I've cleaned air filter, taken carb apart and cleaned it. It still has a lot of carbon build-up after a couple of rides. Could it be the valves need adjusting. It is a 03 XR 80. Please chime in if you have any ideas.
Thanks,
Britton

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sounds like it getting too much fuel (duh). Is it jetted stock? Is the choke completly off? Good compression?

00KX250Byrd

Dec 15, 2007
Thanks. I need an adapter for my compression tester before I test. I'm also going to check the float levels, this might be the problem. It has hung up before and started leaking gas from the drain tube. I had to tap it with a screwdriver. Should I get a new float spring or just try and bend them down?

00KX250Byrd

Dec 15, 2007
I tested compression, 160 in that 80cc motor. Guy at Honda shop said it may be main jet holder(where needle goes thru) may be worn. What do you guys think? I've order part, and I'll let you guys know.
Britton

Top Bottom