ditchrider

Jun 20, 2001
Hi guys and gals sorry to bug you with this question but I'm stuck on what size XR to get for my growing boy. His current ride is a old Honda trail 70 and its time to upgrade. I have a 84 XR 350R which seems to be a bit tall for him. I have no problem being 6ft 5". My friend has a 90? XR250 and my boy has the same problem. With his growing spurt I don't want to by a small bike this year and then upgrade again next. Thanks for your time. Ditchrider cause I can

ditchrider

Jun 20, 2001
Sorry I forgot to mention that he also tried a XR 80 but it was also to small. He's getting to be all legs and arms. Ditchrider out

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
XR200R mabe? He will still out grow it in a couple of years, but it would fit him well right now. Have you thought about yamaha ttr's or are you a die hard honda fan? I wish you good luck on whatever you choose.

YZ85er

Aug 8, 2001
Have you ever...

Hello i just turned 13 and i ride an 02 YZ85 have you ever thought about a two stroke??? i mean they have great seat height and i really think he would get bored with an XR 100 i know i did!!!!! think about a two stroke!

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hello,
If you are going for an XR, which is a good choice in my opinion, I would highly recommend a 250. Devol makes lowering links for XR's, which brings about an inch off the seat height. Furthermore, if you decrease the shock preload it will also bring the seat down a bit.
He will very quickly outgrow the 200, especially with the lack of suspension on the newer model 200's. The 250's have much better suspension, and it's tons easier to get aftermarket goodies for the 250's and bigger. Both of you will be happier in the long run if you get a 250 over a 200.
I'm an XR freak, but I've heard great things about the new Yamaha TTR's. I believe, they even have electric start, but they are also a bit more expensive if I've heard correctly. Trying to kick start a bike you don't fit on is tough, so the elec. start might help him fit into a bigger, better bike.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Get him an XR100R. I know you will have to upgrade in probably two years, but he will have way more confidence on it than a 200. My 100 has quite a bit of power, and I can keep up with full-size bikes on tight trails. The 100 is a pretty good bike.

ACGUY

Feb 6, 2001
Try a TTR 125

A TTR 125 comes with same seat height as XR100, but has a better running motor. Also, there is another model. The TTR 125L model is about 1 1/2 inches higher than the 125. Either would be a good beginner bike for him.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
My son is 11 and will outgrow his XR100R next summer. He has ridden my old XR250R and my YZ250F around the field behind the house but I would never even think of turning him loose in a true trail riding situation with either bike. Kids that age are not strong enough to wrestle with a full size bike like that. They will become discouraged, apprehensive, and may even get hurt. Look for a bike with the 19/16 inch wheel combination. The TTR125L is great (my wife owns one) or the CR80 Expert or the KX100. The latter two will keep him entertained for more than a couple years. I have heard that the KX100 is way fast for a small bike. Avoid the TTR225 at all costs, it's a boat anchor.

BTW, either of these bikes (CR or KX) will easily out run an XR200!

ditchrider

Jun 20, 2001
Well folks sorry for not replying sooner.I was enjoying my holidays. I picked up a 98 XR100 for my boy. tried him at the dealers on a 200 and the 100 and saw there was a lot more controll on the smaller bike. I guess if he out grows it in a couple of years his sister can take it over. I was really drawn to the Yamahaha TTR 125 but they were asking 1000.00 more then a new XR100.I got one dealer down to 2479.00 cdn on a XR100 but I couldn't part with that much cash right now.Anyone have any good XR100 sites or words of wisdom. It was puking oil out the exhaust so I dove in and found the piston all scuffed and the rings NFG. Oh well that was covered in the low price for the bike as well as a few other small things that need to be done. Later Jim

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
Bikes are like clothes, just expect to outgrow them, and don't get clothes that are to big hoping to get kids to 'grow' into them. Get a good fit and plan on updating. Safety first.

DirtMonkey

Sep 17, 2000
Good Choice!

I just turned thirteen, and I'm 5 foot 4 in. and weigh 105lbs. I bought a 2001 XR 100 a while ago and I love it! You're son is going to have a lot of fun on his XR. :)

RIDE RED!
GO TEAM HONDA!

Dirt Monkey junior

Top Bottom