new2biking95

Aug 2, 2008
trail bikes

hay my name is logan and im thinking of getting a nice xr200 trail bike from the 90's id just like to know about them and id like 2 know what other brands compete i know theres tt-r,klx,and dr-z but what came before that and whats the best? please help me with my bike picking :)

new2biking95

Aug 2, 2008
honda xr trail bike series

hello ive been looking around at dirt bikes and am wonder is the honda xrs good bikes? perticularly the xr200. what are the pros & cons of them. such as speed,torque,powerband,suspension ect. thanks for your time and please respond :)

new2biking95

Aug 2, 2008
1) your physical size 5'6 160-170 pounds
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? i love speed but not crazy so like medium medium high
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? i plan on riding on my side street on trails and in my yard
4) Do you have any riding experience? a tiny bit
5) Do you think you will race ? with my friends but not not on a mx track
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? i can do my own bike work but id need a manual or somthing to learn about them
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? brand i like honda,kawasaki,yamaha,suzuki. i prefer 4 strokes
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? i plan on buying it used
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? up to $1200
10) Do you live in California? no
11) Your age? 13-14
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you want something like the XR200 then get the XR200 because there is nothing to compete with it, it sets the standard.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
XRpredator said:
Honda XRs are virtually indestructible with basic maintenance.

Amen to that. Mom's 1990 XR80 needed a cam chain adjustment awhile back. . . otherwise, clean the air filter, adjust the chain and change the oil once in awhile.

Last edited:

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Had an XR100 growing up... it was an '84 (dual shocks) that my parents bought for me well after they went to pro-link (mono) in '85. Agree on the indestructible comment. Always started on the 1st or 2nd kick, even 1st start after sitting for the winter. Great trail bikes. I know you like 4strokes, but also recommend KDX220 with after market piston as nearly as indestructible and with similar power to an XR 4stroke. Can't go wrong with an XR unless you plan on getting into MX or doing any serious jumping.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Depends on what you are going to be doing. Both bikes are excellent. XR200 bit more of a beginners bike. Four stroke. Indestructible, less power, probably less capable suspension, depending on the year of the XR and KDX.
KDX is a two stroke, meaning you'll be mixing oil with gas, but much more powerful than XR200.
Both are excellent bikes. Look at them, test ride them.
A big consideration will be how they were taken care of. Always ask to see the air filter. If the filter is missing (you'd be suprised how often owners simply remove and don't replace them) or in horrible shape, pass on the bike. Ask about maintenance routine. You want a previous owner that actually changed the transmission oil (KDX) or motor/transmission oil (XR) every few rides. If they don't even pretend to have done this, pass.
And, while looks can be overstated, if the bike is totally clapped out, it is often a reflection of how the owner took care of the engine, chain etc.
One thing I can say about the XR is that if you buy it, learn to ride without destroying it and want to move up, you can usually easily sell it for what you paid for it. Good luck.

Top Bottom