NYkdxer

Feb 21, 2003
I know this topic has been covered many times, but my question hasn't had a definite answer. My current stock (.29kg/mm) springs are way too soft for my riding style. They worked OK when I was a beginner but now I need a stiffer set. I weigh approx. 165 in gear, ride mostly woods with some MX and race Hare Scrambles a few times per year. I'm looking into gettin a set of springs from a Honda XR 400 that have a .39kg/mm rate. The RaceTech rate calculator said I should get .40's. My question is, will the XR 400 springs work in my 89 KDX? I know the springs work well in 95-current KDX's, and 95-current .35ish rate springs are a recommended mod for my bike, so theoretically the XR springs should work in my bike, correct? Thanks for any help you can offer.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
They will work fine. I'm running them in my 89. You'll have to make new preload spacers out of PVC as the XR400 springs are longer than the stock springs. Change the fork oil while your in there. 7w works good with those springs. You might find however that the stock rear spring is too light with the XR400 springs in there, making the bike feel unbalanced. So keep that in mind as you try them out.

-Maurice

Top Bottom