turboford500

Feb 7, 2009
hey guys need some help here. my buddy's 98 xr100 has been siting for about a year. i took the carb off and hosed it down with carb cleaner. took the main jet out it had some gunk in it. cleaned that all nice like and put it back together and back on the bike. the bike starts up nice and easy. i had to make the idle a little higher then i would like it from dieing. when i give it a little throttle at a time it runs fine but when i give it a lot gas the bike wants to die. any suggestion is much appreciated.

Wayne Meuir

Feb 2, 2009
Your pilot is probably stopped up. If the main was stopped up, then the pilot is sure to be and if it won't run down low, then that's likely why. Pull the carb COMPLETELY apart, pilot jet, main jet emulsion tube(needle jet), air screw, etc. Soak the BARE body and the float bowl in Berrymans carb cleaner that comes in a gallon can for about an hour or two. Take it out and blow it out with compressed air. Rinse with th aerosol spray carb cleaner and make sure to squirt it through every orifice in the carb and watch to make sure they are clear and you can see the stuff squirting through. Reassemble, set you air screw to spec (probably about 1 1/2 turns out, set the float height, and put it back on. If you do it right, probabluy the only adjustments that will be needed is to tinker with the air screw. To do that, set the idel very low and then turn the screw in and out 1/4 turn at a time and listen to the engine. wherever it idles the fastest is the corect setting.

Wayne

Wayne Meuir

Feb 2, 2009
Your pilot is probably stopped up. If the main was stopped up, then the pilot is sure to be and if it won't run down low, then that's likely why. Pull the carb COMPLETELY apart, pilot jet, main jet emulsion tube(needle jet), air screw, etc. Soak the BARE body and the float bowl in Berrymans carb cleaner that comes in a gallon can for about an hour or two. Take it out and blow it out with compressed air. Rinse with aerosol spray carb cleaner and make sure to squirt it through every orifice in the carb and watch to make sure they are clear and you can see the stuff squirting through. PROTECT YOUR EYES WHEN DOING THIS STEP! Reassemble, set youR air screw to spec (probably about 1 1/2 turns out, set the float height to spec, and put it back on. If you do it right, probably the only adjustments that will be needed is to tinker with the air screw. To do that, set the idle very low and then turn the screw in and out SLOWLY 1/4 turn at a time and listen to the engine. wherever it idles the fastest is the corect setting.

Wayne

Top Bottom