mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
My son is about 70lbs and yesterday while going over a small tabletop the bike bounced in the rear hard enough for him to hit his knees into the handlebars. He doesnt do alot of jumping with the bike and has only now been out about 4 times with it. When I checked the rear suspension I noticed there is no adjustment. When pushing down on the seat it seems super soft and is "bouncey". The suspension is much softer than our XR50 nad feels like there is little resistance when pushed down. This bike was bought used its an 01.
My questions are..
1.Is the shock blown? 2. Should I replace the shock with a stock shock (hes 70lbs). 3. Do I just need to upgrade the spring?(I dont want to but out the cash right now for a new performance shock)
Thanks

Capirate

Jun 1, 2006
my friend bought one, and its like that stock. very spongy and crappy suspension. I had a CRF70 and 80 and the suspension is absolute crap. I upgraded the rear shock and forks, and its really nice now. If i were you, i would research on getting a used shock from a big bike, and putting it on.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Our XR80 is like that, it's just the way the bike is stock. It needs to meet a price point for it's intended use so it won't have a lot of features a more competition slanted bike will. There are upgrade options but you might be better off getting a bike more in line with the task. Hence the reason my son is on a CR85 and my wife putts around on the XR :)

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
Would he get any benefits going to a BBR spring at his weight or is the shock so lame that I'll have to replace the whole thing.

minifig

May 2, 2006
Your son needs to stand up when he jumps.
If you sit down when you ride over jumps or bumps your feet will come of the pegs and hit stuff.
The suspension on the XR/CRF100's isn't the greatest, you can upgrade it to a works shock for an outragous fee but in this case I don't think it will help he just needs to learn to stand on the pegs more and take some of the impact with his knees just like the pro's do.

mxracer2000

Jan 6, 2000
I should clarify. He's been riding for about 5 years but the bike is new for him. He was standing when he jumped and upon landing he pogo'd his upper body over the bars and hit his knees into the bars. He actually saved it and didnt crash.

Top Bottom