bro

Mar 21, 2002
My daughter's '96 XR100 is using quite a bit of oil. It is not leaking so it must be burning it. Any advice on what I should look for would be appreciated. Could it be as simple as a valve seal or does it need rings?

Thanks.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Best guess-I would try a compression test and note reading.Then squirt motor oil in sperk plug hole and take another compression test.If compression jumps think rings.Other Xrs have a rep for leaking valve guides.You'll note a lot of smoke on initial startup after bike sits,oil leaks thru guide into cylinder.Make sure there's no leaks at drain bolt for oil

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
They are easy to work on. Take the cylinder off and determine if it is just rings or a bore job. Lap the valves and install seals at the same time. I don't think it is valve seals because you said it is using quite a bit of oil. Your local shop should be able to determine what it needs after you take it apart. Make sure you check the cam chain and sprocket for wear! If you need a bore replace the chain and sprocket anyway so you won't have to go into the topend again.

Top Bottom