kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Another wife bike question:

My better half Amy, has a 2003 KLX 125 but the kids are fighting over it. So I'm thinking of Christmas. She does not want a new bike ( rats, that CRF 150 looks cool) So I was thinking XR200. The later model ones had a lowered seat, 33" I belive. Anyway she is 5"2" what do you ladys think. Would the height and weight be a problem for her?

Thanks
PS on the boob job\new bike pole going on in here...get the bike :nod:

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I used to have an 84 XR 200 before I got my KDX and I really liked it, I'm 5'8 and was probably around the same height when I had it and think I could have ridden it if I were a bit shorter, dunno about 5'2 though. In 84 they were taller and wider than they are now though so I think she will be just fine with it. They are great bikes and lots of fun. Mine was pretty heavy 240 dry but I handled it just fine, the newer ones are way lighter.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I have an '86 DR200, and had a '90 XR200. The XR I had was the one with the higher seat hieght, before they changed the rear shock, etc. I am 5'7'', 185lbs. I thought my DR was heavy, til I got to riding the XR. The bike is heavy, especially for smaller women. I would consider a different bike really. Maybe a CRF150F or a smaller two-stroke, like the KX/RM 100. The KX, RM, and the SX even, can be modded to "tame" the hit, and be more trail freindly compared to the YZ or CR (although it can be done). I would try to stay away from real heavy bikes. If you can find one, lay it down, and have her try to pick it up. Or start it even. Mine sure was cold-blooded. The two-strokes are going to be different from what she's used to, but the wieght savings are substantial! To add some perspective, I moved up from a YZ80, so maybe the wieght is more noticable to me. I can definitly tell that the DR is lighter then the XR, maybe if only by a small number of pounds, but when you're laying on the ground with a bike on top of you, bike wieght becomes a real issue. Money is the only thing that is keeping me from getting something different, really. See if you can try some differents bikes out, but definitly keep your options open. At 5'2'' I guessing that she's about a hundred pounds, I wouldn't suggest getting a bike that's twice her wieght, ecpecially if she is a novice or beginner. Another plus of an 80/85/100cc bike, is when she moves up, the kids will have another bike to "fight over". Lol. Happy hunting, and I hope I was of some help.

C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

Oh good god yeah I totally forgot to mention what a cold blooded pig taht old XR 200 of mine was....I must have blocked the trauma from my mind lol. It was abnormal how bad that thing was, I remember me and dad alternating trying to start it and it took 80 kicks, usually we just ended up giving up and rolling down a hill to start it. Usually by the time I had the thing running I was to tired to ride. Bad memories. To bad though, if it hadn't been for that it would have been a great bike despite it being a bit heavy. As far as the weight goes that will vary from person to person, I was 5'8 and 130 pounds and I really had no issues with it, I could spin donuts around in it just as well as anyone else.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I started out on an xr200. I am 5'8".n I felt like it was a great bike to start out with. My husband did not want me to have a bike with too much instant power. We did not have any trouble starting it with the exception of cold weather. The only problem I had with the bike was not enough power to get up BIG hills. Then again I an not a small person. Very reliable if you ask me, and a good bike to start out on. I did graduate to an xr250, and I like to feeling of a taller bike. My daughter is now riding the xr200 and enjoys it.

tonibaloney

I'm here
Sep 19, 2006
i'm 5'4", 130 lbs. had a 2000 xr200, rode it for 2 years and upgraded. i really liked it, low enough, not too heavy. easy enough to kick. i recommend the 200.

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
My very first bike was an XR200 also, loved the fact that I couldn't hurt it, power band felt very mellow, trying to remember what year it was, think around an '86. I'm almost 5'3", 115#, had to stand on a big rock or log to kick start it - or get my hubby's help. I have only good memories of that bike!

-SusanP.

WomanRider

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jul 19, 2006
I forgot to mention one thing about my XR200. I thought it was a very forgiving bike for me to learn on. I would make a mistake (grabbing to much throttle) and did not get clobbered by the bike or a near by tree. The XR200 is a good bike to learn on.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Thanks for the input, especially from the ladys in the 5'3" range. I just don't want to scare her with a too tall seat. But it is only 2" taller then the KLX so should work as she is flat footed and her knees are slightly bent on the KLX.

Thanks

Top Bottom