XR200 Hop up kits...suspension, plastics, etc...

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
I was wondering if you can put CR80 forks on an XR200, I know you can do it on a TTR125l, and if you can, do you have to get a new shock/swingarm assembly for the XR? Can you get new plastics for an XR in order to make it, er, less like an XR and more two stroke like? (Such as non-square side pannels, more aggressive style front fender, etc...) Thanks

Mark C.

Posts Too Much
Nov 1, 2000
Originally posted by Blinkme7182
I was wondering if you can put CR80 forks on an XR200, I know you can do it on a TTR125l, and if you can, do you have to get a new shock/swingarm assembly for the XR? Can you get new plastics for an XR in order to make it, er, less like an XR and more two stroke like? (Such as non-square side pannels, more aggressive style front fender, etc...) Thanks

Why would you wanna do that???:think

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You can put 125 forks on the bike. CR80R forks will be too short as well as you would have to fun a smaller front wheel. I don't think you can change plastics that much. You could try putting it the engine in a different frame, but that is very involved.

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
so...

If I did put a CR125 forks/front wheel on it, would I have to reaiise the back end to compensate for the longer front forks? Thanks

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
The conversion is not easy. It's actually easier to throw the 200 engine in a 125 chassis - but that is still $$ and takes lots of skill.

Then the engine is wimpy compared to what the chassis can do.

Want to make the XR feel like a CR? Plan on spending at least $4000 to do it (including some engine mods). This is IF you can do the welding/fab work yourself.

Now, back to the real world - here's places to get bolt on's etc for the XR200:

Graphics - N-style still makes nice looking ones. You can also use the XR250 stuff - cut it down.

Front Fender - Acerbis universal

Tank - Nothing available aftermarket

Rear Fender - Nothing available aftermarket

Ceet - can make a custom seat cover for the XR200 in any of their designs (non slip, gripper, etc) for around $140.

Works - Real rear shock - set ya back $400 to $600. It makes a difference. Still not as good as an XR250 though.

Progressive - Heavier fork springs - $80.00. A definite gain and good bang for the buck.

Rear Excel Rim & relace - relace to fit a REAL 18" rear tire. Cost about $400 with new tire - less if you purchase the spokes and do your own relacing work.

Powroll 218cc stroker engine - No other engine mod you can do to the 200 will compare. Cost $500 to $1,200 depending on how much you want to do and what shape the engine's in.

I've owned a bike set up similarly to the list above. I'm in the industry, so it didn't cost me nearly as much as the retail prices listed above. If I had to pay retail for the stuff, I would have NEVER done it.

Bottom line? Unless you're really short, or want the ultimate woods play bike, buy something else.

Want pictures? There's a few here

www.powroll.com it's on their XR200 page.

Hope this helps you out.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
If you have an older XR200R (1981-1990) with the better suspension, the 125 forks go on with only custom spacers in the stem and other stuff. There isn't too much you can do to the bike without spending a fortune. Why not just get an XR250R.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I'm 5'4" tall and a wimp. The XR250 isn't any tougher to deal with, unless it's on the ground - in which case it does take a little more to lift it up.

Good news? it's not on the ground as much as the XR200 was, it's just a better bike, better suspension, better powerplant. Feels lighter and more nimble in the tight stuff.

Unless you're slogging thru the mud on the east coast, the XR250 (1997 & newer) will probably be a better option.

If you're worried about weight, the XR200 is a tank too!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You want light? Get a two-stroke!

Okay, here's my opinion. I had an XR 200 for a year. Removed the exhaust baffles, K & N filter, larger (52) rear sprocket. It got along a little faster than it did stock but I decided the wimpy suspension and brakes were just not doing it for me and I didn't have the money for conversions (as much as I like the 3 BBRs I have ridden . . . :) ).

If I were you, I'd buy a new bike. I'd go 2-stroke. All the crap I always heard about how 2-strokes are bad trail bikes, and hard to ride, and require more maintenance, isn't exactly true. Yes, they are harder to ride . . . but WAY more fun. If you do more trail riding, I'd recommend a KDX 200 or KTM 200. Depending on how much you want to spend, that is. The KDXs have been around forever, have many aftermarket parts available, and aren't as aggressive as a 125 or 250 MX bike. They are also very cheap. They are heavy but not any heavier than your XR; they'll be about the same. They do have a different center of gravity so it will feel different. The KTM, which is what I bought, is an incredibly fast woods race bike. It is NOT a trail bike. It is more expensive but not when you consider all the aftermarket things you would put on any other bike to make it compare. It has all the bottom end of a 250 and responds like a 125. The suspension, ergonomics, and brakes are incredible.

If height bothers you, you will get used to it. I always thought I didn't want a full-size bike but now that I'm used to it, I like it. There is always a high spot to put my foot on. The larger wheels and additional ground clearance make a big difference. It took some getting used to, but so does any new bike.

The good thing about XRs is they have great resale value! You can get a really good price for yours even if it's not pretty. I got $1800 for my 93 with a blue seat cover, no graphics and all white plastic.

Just my $.02!

Blinkme7182

Sep 30, 2000
ktm125EXC

I am now seriously considering the KTM125EXC...there's a 95 an hour away from me selling for $2000, and I'm going down tomorrow to take a look at it. According to some Japanese sight I pulled up, the seat height of the 95 125EXC is 890mm (35.5")...pretty low if you ask me. Anyway, I've heard the KTM EXC's are great trail machines, and after watching some enduro races through the very trails I ride, 75% of the bikes were KTM's, including the leader, which further validates this point.
Marc

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I would ask your dealer how difficult to obtain parts are for that year and model. 95 is old for a bike, which shouldn't matter as long as it's in good condition, but you need to be able to buy parts for it. Top ends and things like that cost more in KTMs. It's worth it, but if you end up with a basket case you'll spend more than you'll ever get out of it. I love mine. They are great trail machines--mine has incredible power. I don't know how the 125s compare but they will have more bottom end than a mx 125. Good luck!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Firecracker22- a 95 isn't old, especially when the bike is still a current model, early 80s and 70s is getting kind of old.

BlinkMe7182- Go for the KTM125E/XC. The E/XCs are great bikes, I would gladly ride one. Unless you are a complete wimp, you should be able to ride the XR250R. The XR250R is easier to ride that any 125. I can ride a 250 and I'm not exactly your macho person. If you are only riding trails, I would probably take the Xr. Good luck on a bike.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Old is relative. My XR was a 93, and so is my pickup, and for someone who didn't own a car younger than she is until last year that's pretty new. But a 6, almost 7, year old bike is getting up there. Especially since a lot of people buy a new bike every year! I can't imagine that myself but if you race hard, things wear out fast. KTM has made a lot of changes in the last few years. I would worry about parts availability. But it's still a great bike, and a step up from an 80. You know, MX 125s aren't that bad; there's times I wish I were on a YZ but then there's times I'm glad I have my bike. Keep your options open, Blinkme, and ride as many as you can get your hands on.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by firecracker22 :
"95 is old for a bike, which shouldn't matter as long as it's in good condition"

<silly old man mode on>
uh, o.k., i think i can hold back........maybe <eyes watering>......oh heck....
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h a ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!!
95? old? heck is it even broken in yet?? :p :p
i can still get plenty of stuff for my'82 yet.
in fact some items my local dealer had IN STOCK.
sitting on the shelf.
old?? hmmmm maybe when we're talking 1960-something.......
<silly old man mode off>

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
i can still get plenty of stuff for my'82 yet.

1982 models for which OEM rod kits are no longer available:

XR350 (not available aftermarket)
XR, XL, FT 500 (not available aftermarket)
CR 125 - 250 (available aftermarket)
Most Any Suzuki model
Don't know about Yamie or Kawie

1986 models which have basic parts discontinued:

ATC 350X
XR 600

These are the only ones I am intimately familiar with - there are many more, I'm sure.

It is no longer easy to get parts for non-current models. The OEM's no longer continue making them ad-nauseum.

We even had a devil of a time even getting an aftermarket sticker kit for a 1997 KTM 350. Don't even mention the 1990 KTM that needed a piston!

The only model you can be sure all parts are available for is a current model. And hope the bike is not TOO current. The rod and/or crank assembly is not available yet for the YZF or WR 250.

I'm glad you can find parts for your vintage scoots - I'm sure if you're dealer has 'em on the shelf he is VERY HAPPY to see you! Dealers don't stock parts anymore, it's just too expensive (and not smart) to carry inventory that may not sell for 6 months or more.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thank you, Dualsportr. I learned how to ride on a CT 70 and then a 1974 Suzuki TS 250 (and that was probably in the late 80s or early 90s). Of course, a 95 isn't OLD. Heck, I didn't own a car that wasn't 20 years old or more until last year. But having worked at a dealer, and the largest in that area, I can tell you that most dealers DON'T stock many parts for anything more than 3-4 years old. And aftermarket companies are pretty sketchy unless it's a CR, YZ, RM or KX 125 or 250. We were the largest by far Honda and Yamaha dealer and we didn't stock more than the most basic parts for anything more than 4 years old. I was simply warning the guy that he might have trouble finding some parts, not that it was an outdated or OLD bike. :think

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by DualSportr :
"1982 models for which OEM rod kits are no longer available:
XR, XL, FT 500 (not available aftermarket)"

Although i do admit there are some things you just cant get anymore, this must be a very recent one, as i did a complete rebuild on my XL500r last year.
Some parts the dealer did have in stock, but they had to order 90% of it.
(the 4-valve 500cc singles were pretty popular motors)
It probably has more to do with the dealer in question than with the parts themselves.
IE: most dealers would rather see you junk an old machine and spend $5,000+ buying a new one.
:(
The smart ones realize that not everyone can afford to put out that much moolah for new wheels and will take a little extra time trying to find older bike parts.
A parts sale (large or small) is better than NO sale.
Plus , when the cutomer IS ready to buy a new scoot, he is more likely to buy from the dealer who took the time to help him fix his old one.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
The smart ones realize that not everyone can afford to put out that much moolah for new wheels and will take a little extra time trying to find older bike parts.

Unfortunately, this isn't left up to your individual dealer. The dealer is on an OEM Parts Network. The parts your dealer orders come from one of 4 (maybe 3 now) warehouses here in the US. If the parts aren't in those warehouses - then your dealer, and any other dealer out there - are out of luck (yes, they can do a critical parts search of other dealers, but it's not usually successful).

Honda determines what they will continue to carry. After Mr. Honda died in 198?, Honda slowly began discontinuing parts for the earlier models. They used to carry it all.

In my relatively educated opinion, Honda and the other OEM's are working towards a system where the year after they discontinue a model, they make one more batch of parts for that model and that's it. When those parts are gone, they're discontinued.

I'm not saying this is right - obviously I don't believe that, since we own more than 30 vintage bikes - it's just the facts.

the 4-valve 500cc singles were pretty popular motors

Yes, the 79-82 models were popular. We sold more parts for them than the RFVC version which came out in 83. But in the last year, the demand for aftermarket on this and other '80's thumpers has really dropped.

We sold 30 or 40 bore kits for the 500 (XR,XL, FT) in 1999, and only 4 in 2000. It's not cost effective to stock something for more than a year, so we had to drop the product line.

Even though it's nice to be able to offer product for the older models, if you're running a business, you've got to make a little profit to stay alive.

This is the reason it gets difficult to find product for early models. Yes, there are many out there still running. Yes, they're great bikes. Yes, there are a few people who want to spend $$ to hop them up (or rebuild them), but that number is very small - not enough to keep the aftermarket industry alive. It has to come down to $$. No matter how "nice" a shop wants to be, if they can't make a profit, they're out of business.

poncho

Oct 3, 1999
I agree, old is relative. My 95 RM 250 is in better shape than many bikes 3 or 4 years newer. Parts availability on "older" bikes, 95 is probably considered older where dirtbikes are concerned, is definately an issue. I would think it's an even bigger issu for KTMs. These bikes a great now and the company has grown, but this growth seems to have come in the last 5 years. I would guess that parts availablity on KTMs from 95 or older may be a little difficult to obtain. Check with a dealer to make sure. The aftermartket was also weaker on these models before there growth. Some times it's a challenge finding certain things for my bike. Bikes take a beating and I would say that most don't maintain them to the degree that they should by. Manufactures know that the olders models die early deaths so it wouldn't make sense to continue to generate a lot of non-common parts past a few years. Just look at what model years are available in the want ads and you will see what I mean.

If you buy the bike make sure you break it down and check and lube all the linkage and steering bearings. Make sure you check all fasteners.

Good luck.
Mike

Dan

Jan 15, 2000
I have hopped up a 96' xr200. I put Yz125 forks on it. I am in machine shop at vo-tec so i had the tools to do it. YOu have to machine the stem, and make bushings for the top triple clamp.you also have to use the front wheel and brake caliper and brake lever assembly from the bike that you got the forks. For the rear suspention i stuck a kx100 shock on it. i can put some pics on later, dont have them right now.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom