xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
Just got a used 2002 XR200, from a second owner. The first owner put 'Big Gun' exhaust on it and operated it around 2000ft, in Utah. The second owner ran it at around 4500ft, in Wyoming. Now, I am running it at 6000ft and more, in northern Wyoming.

I've heard elsewhere that XR200's run rich from the factory. The aftermarket exhaust should lean it out a bit, but the 6000ft altitude, assuming stock jetting, should make it run really really rich, right? The snorkel is still on the airbox - taking that out will lean it a bit further, I suppose. . .

I haven't noticed any black smoke coming from the exhaust, and it did bog a bit yesterday.

Should I worry about changing the jetting? I really am worried more about the bike running lean and melting something than I am about running rich, as this is just a starter/learner bike for me.

So:

Stock jetting + Big Gun exhaust + removed snorkel + 6000ft = running rich? running lean? right on?

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Xrs or at least the 200 have a reputaion of coming lean from Honda.The big gun exhaust should allow more air flow exiting the engine.This would result in an even leaner conditon,ie;a change in the fuel/oxygen ratio-less fuel.I think being under 3000 ft. in elevation wouldn't cause a big change to a perfectly jetted bike,I could be wrong here.Going up to 6000 would decrease oxygen and cause a richer conditon.
Jetting does not have to be a big deal to change if you do it right.If your jetting is stock-38 pilot,110 main,needle clip in the third positon i think you will have to step down somewhere to keep the bike right.What does your plug color look like right now?
There is a jetting guide in the service manual that is based on elevation and temperature since temperature also effects the amount of oxygen.If your getting a bog now then one of the jets circuits is to rich.I don't know if there's a jetting guide here but there might be one in the tech section of the 4srtokes.com sight under Honda.
For now if the bog is slight throttle you could turn the pilot screw in a 1/4 turn at a time and see if this helps.If the bog is 1/4 to 1/2 throttle you could lower the clip position one groove at a time.Just do one thing at a time and check be fore moving on.Other wise you won't know which change made a difference.
Another thing to consider is the status of your air filter.Most go aftermarket for better flow to compliment the opening of the exhuast side of the engine.They also take off the snorkle for the same purpose.If you do this be fore rejetting check the way the bike runs as a result.Also good to look at the plug color to be sure.Advise you to get the service manual to aid you.I hope this makes sense- let us now.I am giving you my best guess since I've never ridden your elevation

Top Bottom