fryboy

Feb 21, 2003
Hi everyone,

I am ready to buy my 15yo 5'4" son his first dirtbike and was wondering if any of you XR200 riders out there are about the same size as him? Will the seat height be too tall for him?

The XR100 fits him pretty good (pre shock break in) but am afraid it is a bit small for him or will be way to quickly.

I have a good line on a 2002 XR200 about the same $ as 2001 XR100 and was wondering what you think I should do?

I don't want to get too much bike for him and scare him off but I also don't want to buy him a bike he will be bored with in a couple of months.

I really appreciate any help you can give me,
Thanks!

Fryboy

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
this is a tough one.. referring to this, "I don't want to get too much bike for him and scare him off but I also don't want to buy him a bike he will be bored with in a couple of months. ", the xr100/200 will not be the bike of choice.. they are awesome for learning the basics of riding, but after a few weeks he will outgrow the power and suspension.. the only thing surefire about the xr line is that they will never break down and have a high resale value, so if you decide to get one and want to sell it a few months down the road - you wont lose much, if anything at all..

ps: it also depends on what type of riding he will be doing.. if he is into trails, the xr200 may be a good choice.. if he wants to race, stay away from the xr line

fryboy

Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by _j0kA_
this is a tough one.. referring to this, "I don't want to get too much bike for him and scare him off but I also don't want to buy him a bike he will be bored with in a couple of months. ", the xr100/200 will not be the bike of choice.. they are awesome for learning the basics of riding, but after a few weeks he will outgrow the power and suspension.. the only thing surefire about the xr line is that they will never break down and have a high resale value, so if you decide to get one and want to sell it a few months down the road - you wont lose much, if anything at all..

ps: it also depends on what type of riding he will be doing.. if he is into trails, the xr200 may be a good choice.. if he wants to race, stay away from the xr line

Thanks _jokA_ for your reply. I forgot to mention that we will be riding trails. This is a concern for me, as I don't want him being too short for the bike. I am not really concerned with the power difference as he can learn to ride in 1st and 2nd on either bike and put around without ripping his arms off. Man, what a tuff decision. Its not like I have a XR200 to go have him sit on either. I suppose I could just take him to go look at it and see but was hoping someone could save me a 75 mile round trip, for a maybe, if possible.

Fryboy

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
in short, i would definately buy the xr200 over the 100.. in my opinion it is a much better bike and your son will grow more into it, rather then completely out of it..

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yea, I'll second the XR 200. The 100 is too small, IMO, for somebody that size. The 200 is a SUPER friendly bike. Its got ok power, and its super smooth. They start pretty easy, and are awesome trail bikes. Being too short, well, I wouldn't worry too much about that. I was riding a KDX220 pretty soon into my riding career, and that bike was definitely too tall for me. You grow into it, and it teaches you better riding and balance anyways. But at 5'4" I think he'll actually fit the XR200 just about perfect. I would take the trip and having him sit it, to see how he feels. I'll be he likes it!

fryboy

Feb 21, 2003
Thanks for you help everyone! I really appreciate the fast response. You rock! I am sooo on the fence. I know what I should buy but then I think about it being his first bike and all and it kinda makes me apprehensive. Ya know what I mean?

Fryboy

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
Yea, that first bike always leaves an impression. I started on the KDX220 for the most part... did just the very basics on the TTR. THe KDX was a really challenge to me. It was a little too tall, and heavy. It was hard for me to start (NO LAUGHING, I WAS SHORT!) But it proved to make a great learning tool for me. I was a little over my head, so it was either sink or swim. Now, being over your head might not work for everyone, but it makes me reach just a little beyond myself to be better. There ya go, some deep philosophy to ponder upon!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the CRF-150.. Its right in the middle and one great trail bike.

What is his weight? I have ridden the XR 200 and my major gripe with it, is that for that price, I felt it was waay too underpowered and a bit heavy with bulky control, so make sure when he sits on it, he is comfortable with the size and weight of the bike. I would deffinetly also consider the CRF 150 since this is his first bike.

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
"I can't believe nobody has mentioned the CRF-150.. Its right in the middle and one great trail bike."

you forgot to mention that it weighs more then a 125..

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Young kids and dirtbikes are a catch 22. They learn really fast. I got my son an XR100 and he was grown out of it (power wise) in a couple of months. The XRs are great learning tools, I think that the most important thing is get the basics down first, then move on. You may want to look into a KDX 200 (if it fits him). I've people say pretty great things about them. They are easy to learn on, and when more power is needed, the mods are out there to support it. They too sound like pretty reliable bikes.

Gunther

Jul 8, 2003
In June of 2002 I bought my 13 yo son an XR 200. At the time he was 5' 3" and mebbe 110 lbs. By last fall he stole my KDX so early this spring I bought him one of his own. Now he's 6'2" and 160 or so. I figure the XR200 will be a great bike for new riders and my grandkids so I'll keep it forever.

redriders

Sep 21, 2003
the 200 is to big and the 100 is to small my cousin has a 2003 xr100. hes far out grown it already. the bike doesnt have much in terms of power ans suspension. if i were you i would go straight to the 2 strokes that way he will be able to do all the stuff the pros aree doing. the kx100 would be good for him. plus 2 stokes are alot cooler that the smaller 4 strokes. just my opinion

redriders

Sep 21, 2003
your son is also in the main stage of growing. he is going to shoot up height wise. try buying used. it will save you a ton of money and when he needs a new bike you will be happy you didnt drop 3000 into a new bike he outgrows in a year or 2

fryboy

Feb 21, 2003
Thank you everyone that replied. I agree with some of your suggestions especially regarding buying new versus old. This is why I am asking about the XR100 or 200. I personally haven't seen any CRF150's for sale in the paper. I would guess they are too new and people that own them aren't ready to sell yet.

I think now I am leaning towards buying the TTR125L as I think the suspension is a bit better than XR100. I had a lead on one but it sold during the phone call. I was TOO SLOW! DOOOHHHHHH!

Happy Trails!
Fryboy

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Why not just buy him an MX bike to begin with?

I am his age, so I know how it is with everyone in my age group who rides. The XRs and 4-stroke offroadies are what basically most of us start out on, but grow out of fast and want something new in 3 months.

Pretty much every person of those have all went to either 2-stroke 85 MXers (and one a KX 100) and a few even went to 125s, and I will personally go right in the middle with a KX or RM 100. And basically, even the people who start right on the 85s can start off and learn very quickly and become better riders than the ones who had previous dirtbikes.

Trust me, just GO FOR IT! He will thank you.

<DarreN123>

Jul 21, 2003
i think hell get bored of a little xr......im the same age (taller) and i just bought a 125 with about 30 minutes of experience before that....and after a day of riding with my friend, i had the shifting down, i was doing donuts and trying wheelies the next day.....my friend has an xr250 and its kinda slow an boring, (not at speed).....like theres no hit and you cant roost or anything (but its a trail bike so...).................does your son know how to ride at all? (any experience?).....i say go for a kx/rm 100

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
There are many great bikes out there for beginners. But at your son's age, an XR100 will be too small and underpowered in a few months. I'd look at others.

fryboy

Feb 21, 2003
Originally posted by DJL
i think hell get bored of a little xr......im the same age (taller) and i just bought a 125 with about 30 minutes of experience before that....and after a day of riding with my friend, i had the shifting down, i was doing donuts and trying wheelies the next day.....my friend has an xr250 and its kinda slow an boring, (not at speed).....like theres no hit and you cant roost or anything (but its a trail bike so...).................does your son know how to ride at all? (any experience?).....i say go for a kx/rm 100

No he doesn't have any riding experience at all. I have thought for just a minute about buying a YZ85 or RM85. Being we will mostly be riding trails I think there is a better 4 stroke alternative out there. I want him to get down the fundamentals first then I will move him up when he wants. The way I see it, buying one of the newer fourstrokes will have a great resale value.

Fryboy

jfgviper9

Oct 18, 2002
Im 15 yrs old and about the same height as your son, and last August I bought a 88 Suszuki DR100. Its a great bike and all but Im already looking for bigger and better. I may have more experience but I think you might be boring your kid with xr100,200 or even an 85. They aren't very exciting bikes and you're son will prob want to upgrade within a couple of monthes. I'd say to look into rm/kx100, a 125 2stroke, or a kdx200. They are bigger and faster, and the way I see it, they will last him alot longer and be worth it in the long run. And once he gets the hang of riding im sure he'll be thanking you for getting him a bigger bike...

- John

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Yea, but getting a new 4s your still going to lose...it'll be cheaper to buy a used 4s...if you were in Ks I'd sell you his xr as he's moved on to the KX100. I think when all is said and done...well, lets just say I wish I would have bought him a used one, especially for no longer than it took him to grow out of it. They drop in value real fast when you take 'em off the showroom floor. But most of that is probably my fault for taking him out with all of the MX buddies on the big 250s and introducing him to MX tracks...what was I thinking?????? :think: I can't say for sure...a 2s may or may not have scared him away from the sport...as much I'd like I'd like to say to just get him a 2s thats something that only you can answer.

Last edited:

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by shnalln
Yea, but getting a new 4s your still going to lose...it'll be cheaper to buy a used 4s...if you were in Ks I'd sell you his xr as he's moved on to the KX100. I think when all is said and done...well, lets just say I wish I would have bought him a used one, especially for no longer than it took him to grow out of it. They drop in value real fast when you take 'em off the showroom floor. But most of that is probably my fault for taking him out with all of the MX buddies on the big 250s and introducing him to MX tracks...what was I thinking?????? :think: I can't say for sure...a 2s may or may not have scared him away from the sport...as much I'd like I'd like to say to just get him a 2s thats something that only you can answer.

Huh? Arent used 2-stroke usually always cheaper than used 4-strokes?

Anyway, I will tell you right now that he WILL regret something along the lines of an XR 100. NOT that they are bad bikes, but he is going to grow out of it and want something more powerful, and fast.

Look at the KX and RM 100s. Both are identical twins with just different plastics and minor minor things. Those are sweet bikes, i cant wait to get one!

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Yea, but getting a new 4s your still going to lose...

it'll be cheaper to buy a used 4s...[/B]

:think: Yea...2s usually are cheaper...I said that even with a NEW 4s, the depreciation on them will not make up for the high resale value that they usually bring, unless of course it (the 4s) will be kept for a couple of years at least.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Yea, but getting a new 4s your still going to lose...

it'll be cheaper to buy a used 4s...[/B]

:think: Yea...2s usually are cheaper...I said that even with a NEW 4s, the depreciation on them will not make up for the high resale value that they usually bring, unless of course it (the 4s) will be kept for a couple of years at least.
This was in referance to Fryboys last post...viper beat me to his responce, hence the confusion in the order of things...

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'm 5'6" and 13 years old. I rode a '97 RM80 until I got guts to hop on my dad's '02 KDX220. After that ride he couldn't keep me off of it. We bought a '96 KDX200. It's a great all round bike. Easy to learn the clutch if he hasn't.

Now the RM80's for sale. $1300 never raced.
We live in central Illinois. call (618) 783-3366

Top Bottom