Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
We were out riding this weekend, I decided to take the xr200 from my daughter to go for a quick spin to see how it was running. Well, the clutch was slipping pretty bad. I adjusted what I could, but it isn't enough.
Tonight, I started the task of disassebling the clutch assembly. I took off all the pieces that were in the way and reomoved the clutch side cover.
The next part that needed to come off was the oil filter rotor. I removed the OFR cover with no troubles. Then I saw the show stopper for the evening. A special wrench is needed for the nut holding the rotor in place. :|
The reason this is a problem, is because the rotor overlaps the clutch assembly, and needs to come off before I can finish inspecting the clutch.
Is there a way to make this tool? Or am I going to have to go to the local dealership and buy this special Honda wrench?

Bastages!!!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Hey PK, try K&L supply for hard parts and special tools for oem quality w/o the OEM price.
If you had a neighborhood machinist bro' you/he/she could carve up an appropriately sized socket into a spanner, but buying it might be simpler...
I might try shimming the clutch springs with spark plug washers of the right dia. in a pinch too...

Last edited:

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks for the ideas! After I thought it over, I will head to the dealership, and ask one of the mechanics I am freindly with if I can borrow the proper tool. If not, the lab coat goes on, and I get creative. I do have a nephew who is a machinist, so he may be able to help me out too.
Either way, I'm glad I took it apart. The oil filter rotor was filled with sludge, and needed to be cleaned.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I had to buy the tool when I was 13. Four little teeth about 20 mm apart, 1/2 inch drive about three inches long. Seemed like a typical 30$ part. I tossed it out awhile ago because I had no xr200. That was the only special tool I recall needing for a full tranny rebuild.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
thanks for the offer pursang, but I stopped off at the local dealership after work tonight. I told them what my delema was. Then the service manager went into the back room, and returned carrying the socket that I'd need to do the job.
"How long do you need it for?"
"I'll have it back to you tomorrow at 9:00AM."
"Cool"
I new I liked that place. :) Razee in North Kingstown, RI <<<subtle plug for them ;).

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!!!! Next time you stop in tell them that folks as far away as Michigan will remember their name!!
Woodsy

Top Bottom