gunman

Jun 19, 2005
Naked Women

Does anyone have the diagrams available for the break-down of a xr200 2001 front suspension.

Last edited:

fretslider51

Jun 23, 2005
I suggest buying one of these manuals: link

I have the same bike and the same manual and it has great info on suspension.

Also since you have the same bike I would like to tell you about my project with my bike so that maybe you can do the same. My bike is getting too small for me and I noticed that the older XR200s have longer, stiffer shocks so I purchased used 1982 forks and a 1984 spring. If my measurements are correct that should give me an extra 3 inches in front and 1 1/2 inches in back. I do not know if you have the same problem with your size to the bikes size as me but if you do, hopefully this might help you out.

Last edited:

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The shock from an '86 to '91 would be the best years of the shock. The most common upgrade to the forks are CR forks with the disc brakes. In '93 they chopped the suspension to open the XR market to shorter riders.

fretslider51

Jun 23, 2005
Sorry to do this in your post gunman but I do not know how to contact pyrofreak any other way.

The shock from an '86 to '91 would be the best years of the shock. The most common upgrade to the forks are CR forks with the disc brakes. In '93 they chopped the suspension to open the XR market to shorter riders.

I do not want CR forks because that would mean reconfiguring the whole front end, however I would like to know why an '86 to '91 shock would be better. The 200s from '81 to '85 seem to sit up higher and have a smooth suspension. I have not riden any XR200s from '86 to '91 so really I don't know. What are the benefits of the shock you suggested?

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
What I posted is mostly hearsay from what i have learned from the vast bank of knowlegde over at www.thumpertalk.com . Check it out. I would suppose that any shock from a '92 or older would be much better and signifacantly longer then those on the newer bikes.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Some direct quotes from TT.

"86-91 are the same
84-85 has about the same travel, 10 inches
81-83 has about the same too, just they made a 200 and a 200R had a mono shock the 200 didnt it was like 6 inches and dual shocks

yes the 86+ models have a nitrogen bottel and some sweet shocks"

"84 to 87 have the same shock. In 88 the shock was shortened slightly, but still had the reservior until like 91."

"Yes, 84-91 will fit right on a 93-02. You will need to make a mount for the shock res., longer kick stand (84-85 or 86-91) and longer front brake cable (84-88) if you run a headlight. The 93-02 forks can be converted by installing the 84-91 damp rods and springs. Also early had drains, can't find in my notes what year was last. I put drains in the ones without but it requires machine work."

"There are some real improvements that can be made to your suspension. On the front forks to put the travel back all you need are the dampening rods, or pipe seats as Honda calls them. You need the ones from 1984-1991 which were the long travel models. If you can find a set of old ugly beat up forks cheap, just pull out the damp rods, if you want new, the part # is 51440-KTO-671. For springs you want a set of Progressive fork springs #11-1136. Where you have a 94 you will already have a drain in the fork leg, 96 on didn't. Be sure and get everything nice and clean, look everthing over good for damage, use new seal kits and new sealing washers on the lower allen bolt. Set the sag (with spring pre load) so you loose 1/4 of you of your total travel when you sit on the bike. For stage two you add a set of Race Tech Emulators, we run these on the Team Old School racer.

On the rear suspension the cheapest route is to use a shock off the long travel models, 1984-1991, which is 13.5" long, yours is 13.25" long. You will need to make a mount for the res. For stage two Works will make you a shock, but lots of $$$. We have a custom built one on the Team Old School racer. Set the sag (with spring pre load) to loose 1/3 of your total travel when you sit on the bike. Raised up like this you will also need the longer kick stand from the 84-91, and if you have a headlight, the front brake cable. "

"After '92, fork travel was reduced from 10" to 8.2" and shock was reduced from 9.6" to 8.3", so the result is about a 1.5" lower seat height on the newer XR200. The performance lost is very noticable."

"Good news! the early model forks will bolt right on your bike and they have a few more inches of travel As far as action goes, in order to really feel much difference you will have to install emulators, aftermarket springs and play with different weights and amounts of fork oil. Better news is that once you have the front end lifted you will need to replace the rear shock with an early model which has adjustable comp. and rebound dampening along with a nitrogen reservoir. It bolts right up and adds a few more inches of travel to the rear, and now we are talking about a difference between night and day in suspension improvements.
You will also have to extend your side stand about 3 1/2" so your bike will stand up. An early model side stand will work. I did this mod to my '95 using parts I got from **** for about $60.00. Best money I have spent on my XR200.
I have the front end off of my CRF230 right now and by just eyeballing it, looks like it would bolt right on the 200, however I have not tried it yet. You would need to use the 230 triples because the fork tube dia. is larger on the 230. I don't really see what it would gain as I believe the travel of the 230 forks are somewhere between the early and late model XR200 forks. Maybe the front disc would be a plus but the forks are still not of the "cartridge type", so emulators, springs, different weight oil along with preload spacers would be needed in order to achieve any significant improvement.
I have heard where others have "bolted on" XR250 front ends on there 200 but what year models I don't know and unless they were of the "cartridge type", I would not spend the time or money. As far as a CR125 front end swap I have heard nothing. If I run across a good CR125 roller that isn't trashed I would be more inclined to transplant my XR200 motor into it!
There was a guy on one of these forums that bolted a Kawasaki KX125 front end on his 200 and claimed it was easy and performed well. If I can find the link I will post it here on this thread or PM you with it. Hope this helps.....Karl"

There is sooo much more to be found on thumper talk.

Like i said, Go Check It Out!

Stop reading this and go!!!

chofilena

Aug 27, 2006
XR200 suspensions

I have an xr200 2006 (philippine assembled) , and i was able to purchase an xr200 1983 rear shocks which i also bought a progressive springs for it. If i install this on my bike, do i need to change the dumping rod of my front forks (37mm. with disc brakes) to make it balance? Or is it ok to retain the forks and use the 1983 shocks? My front forks have the emulators and the progressive springs as well. Please help me with some advise i dont want good money to go to waste. Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom