glhman222

Jun 20, 2006
i have a 2000 xr200r that is burning massive amounts of oil and i mean after a short run (like 5 mninutes) the muffler will actually pour out burned oil we rebuilt the motor with a bigger piston and new rings gaskets o rings and timing chain and tensioners
oil is not getting into the crank case so i guess its coming from the top, we installed all gaskets and the o ring on one stud and its still smoking ARGH im so mad i need help please ive also honed the cylinder and all that suff yada yada yada i dont have any parts left over so whats up with that if i dont get a replie im gona spend up to 500 dollars in mechanic work

confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
Was it smoking and burning oil before you built it? Did you install the oil rings correctly?Did you have trouble getting the cylinder back over the piston rings?Did you hone it too much?What about the valves and guides were they worn?

glhman222

Jun 20, 2006
no, yes,no, no, brand new and had to replace bent valve (EXHAUST) and al hardware assosiated, also replaced seals and had valve job on both valves

confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
what bent the valve? did you have a (good) machinist put in new guides? or maybe the old guide is still in there and damaged from removing the bent valve or even worse the head could have gotten damaged. There are alot of variables that could have happened. piston pin clip come out and damage cylinder after assembly.

glhman222

Jun 20, 2006
i dont know, yes, nope deffinatly replaced, head is not damaged, and piston clips have never came out / clyinder is perfect bit of a brain buster huh i cant figure it out either and im pissed off

confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
I know you wont like it but you might as well tear it back apart and inspect every piece of the top end. The problem is there since it wasnt doing it before.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What you are describing sounds like the second compression ring is in upside down.

In a two compression ring four-stroke design the second ring works as an oil scraper. If you put it in upside down, instead of scraping oil off the walls and into the sump, it goes the other direction and drags the oil into the combustion chamber.

That's why the second ring always has a mark on the side that has to go up. The mark is small and it's easy to miss.

It's really easy to make this mistake (people do it all the time) , and you can't tell it's a problem till it's all together and pumping oil like mad.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
glhman222 said:
if the ring was upside down wouldnt it also drag gasoline into the crank case?

Nope. The top compression ring, if it's doing it's job, seals the combustion chamber from the sump.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Had a dealer, whom I guess will remain namless, put a ring in upside down on my Yamaha TT225. I think it was the top ring, if I remember correctly. It made the bike smoke A LOT until it got some heat in it. It filled my parent's entire property with thick blue smoke. After a minutes or 2 it would stop.

glhman222

Jun 20, 2006
uh oh maby that wasnt my problem it still does it (sad face) and i waited a minute or 2 and even rode it for about 10 minutes (got really really hot) still no luck smokes like crazy still, also its white smoke not blue and

Top Bottom