RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or direction on where to start on improving the suspension on a 2001 XR 200 R. My girlfriend bought it about three months ago.. We have been riding some trails and some Motocross..The front suspension bottoms out when she gets even the least amount of air...Thanks

tavdog

Jul 12, 2000
I have a 83 XR200r and I was told to bleed the forks. There is a air cap on it but I didnt think you actually put air in there. If so, how much air should be put in it?

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
take the forks into a local shop and have them rebuild the poor things. Install a set of Progressive springs (about 60 -80 bucks). Don't use "lifetime" seals, use another aftermarket brand (the lifetimes leak).

Most people don't recommend adding air to the forks. This is an old ploy to make sacked springs and shot oil work a little longer. Makes for crappy suspension travel compared to what you get with new oil and springs (or even just the new oil and some spacers!).

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you want my opinion . . .

I went through the XR 200 thing. They are good bikes for the hills, NOT for mx tracks. That is just not their intended purpose. I wish I had started on a mx bike of some type b/c I would be a better rider for it now. If she is a competitive person--and if she's getting air on a mx track, she is--she might enjoy a two-stroke more. Now this subject has been beaten to death but like I said, these are just my opinions. She WILL outgrow the XR. There isn't much you can do with them. How big is she? A KX 100 or a YZ/CR/RM/KX/KTM etc 125 might be a better ride. Yes, they are more intimidating. Yes, they can get out of hand more easily. But you won't spend $$ you won't get back trying to polish a turd (no offense to XR riders) and she won't get tired of it so fast. If she's bottoming out the suspension after 3 months, and is tall enough, I'd recommend a 125. She will be a better rider for it in the end. I have SO MANY bad habits from my year on an XR. You just don't learn the throttle control, clutch usage, brake techniques, and good riding position on an XR because they are so forgiving and you don't have to. I still crash way more than I should because I grab the front brakes too hard.

So there you go, that's my opinion on the subject as a former XR rider. Email or PM me if you have any more questions. Oh yeah, and get her signed on and she can hang out in the women's forum.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
If she's bottoming out the suspension after 3 months, and is tall enough, I'd recommend a 125. She will be a better rider for it in the end.

Agreed! Even an older 80 or 125 is an improvement on the track over the old XR200.

If she really likes riding on the track, the XR200 is probably one of the worst bikes for that application!

It is still a good woods machine, and can work well for that type of riding. For m/x, you couldn't PAY me enough to ride one!

The BBR conversion is great, but big bunches of cash. For short riders, they are sometimes the only real option. For taller riders, women over 5'6", gosh, the sky's the limit! They can ride anything!

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Check the oil level in the forks, You may want to raise it a little. This helps prevent bottoming. If it is excessivly low the bike will bottom like crazy.

Chris

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by tavdog :
"I have a 83 XR200r and I was told to bleed the forks. There is a air cap on it but I didnt think you actually put air in there. If so, how much air should be put in it?"

I have a '82 XL500R -w- the same air caps.
My owners manual says to run 0 to 3 psi.
I run 3 to 5 psi. :eek:
(hey, i'm a 225 pound guy riding a 20 year old "dualsport" in western whoops! give me a break alright??) :think :confused:
The air pressure is just an adjustment, not a "quick fix". My bike works MUCH better off road -w- the extra air pressure.
NOTE: Use a bicycle or football pump to ad air to the forks. Do NOT use an air compressor!!!!

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by DualSportr
"Most people don't recommend adding air to the forks. This is an old ploy to make sacked springs and shot oil work a little longer. Makes for crappy suspension travel compared to what you get with new oil and springs (or even just the new oil and some spacers!)."

I'll have to disagree on that one.
My springs are fine, and the oil is changed regularly using 10 to 20 weight.
(depending on season and conditions.)
As stated in the previous post, the air pressure is just another adjustment.
(Almost like spring preload???)
Adding or removing pressure helps the handling of my bike a good deal.
If it was a quick fix for "sacked springs" why put them on there from the factory?
If they left them off, more people would buy new springs, and make tham more money, right??:think

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Can't say about a 2001, but I have extensive experience with the 81/82/83 models. A complete front end off of a 86/87/88 KDX200 is virtually a bolt-on swap. If you can find one, this mod totally transforms the bike.
Oh, and I ran ten pounds of air in my stock forks. We were going really fast in those days! Dextron II, 5 1/2 inches from the top. Worked fine!

tavdog

Jul 12, 2000
A headset, tire,and forks? That would cost around 250 around here for the whole front end. Are there any other forks that would fit 83 xr200r and would work better...stiffer and such? I just spent 150 on used forks for my xr sicne the last ones would not even hold oil. Thanks

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
For sure there are other forks that could be made to fit. You might have to press your original stem out and adapt it to the new trees. The KDX front end was pretty easy. Also about the right ride height, spring rate and great brakes!
Buying stuff like that is a last resort, you have to search low and high and guilt-trip all your buddies to give you stuff like that. The KDX stuff is now getting pretty old, and should be easier to find now.
I have bought entire bikes (not running) for a couple hundred bucks.

Top Bottom