Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
I have a '94 xr 250 that has a head gasket that started leaking this last week. I tore it down today & found that the head gasket is really two identical stamped metal gaskets, back to back. One of the two gaskets is blown. The second looks fine.
I called all three dealers within driving distance, & none of them have one in stock, and it takes like a week or more to get one.
My son and I had planned on going on a cross country race this weekend, so I guess I will miss it. unless......
I bought this bike used. Did someone by chance put two head gaskets in instead of one to lower the compression?? (granted, seems odd that someone would even consider such a thing on this motor.) I could put it back together with the single gasket and ride it while the new one comes in. Or I could be doing something really stupid like raising the compression to detonation range.
Do any mechanical Honda guys know if it indeed a two piece gasket or did someone double up?
Thanks

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tom.

Yes, it is a two piece gasket. Those gaskets are designed to move around a little. If the bike is ridden hard, (high rpm), they will weep a little oil. That does'nt mean they are blown. If it is blowing compression out of the gasket, then that is a different story.

In a pinch, you could reuse the old gasket if you were to coat it with Copper Coat spray gasket sealer. This should be avaliable at your local auto parts store.

Spray one light coat on both sides, let it tack up and then spray a heavy coat on both sides and put it together. Be sure to torque the head to the correct specs.

Would be best to wait for the new gasket. IMO.
Use the Copper Coat on the new gasket too.

Ol'89r

Last edited:

Tom H

Sep 5, 2000
Thanks Ol'89r, Your suggestion seem to work just fine. It ends up that on closer examination, the stockgasket is actually 3 pieces laminated together. I discarded the one blown section, (it was leaking compression), and sealed up the remaining two pieces with a couple coats of spray-on copper based gasket sealer. I bolted it back together and took the bike for a quick but hard ride. Seems to work fine. No detonation, good (for a xr250) power. I am ready to race this weekend's Grand Prix in Goldendale, Wa.
Thanks for your help.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Might be worth while to carefully re-torque head bolts after initial break-in ride.

I found that after doing a top end on a Triumph, it will last longer if I went through the torque sequence over again after it warmed up was and ridden once and cooled down.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah on alot of hondas you can take out the spacer in between and raise compression very simply on something like a TRX 250R 2stroker it makes quite a difference .

Rick B

Aug 25, 2021
Thanks for the info, just adjusted my valves on a 91 xr250l
, the bike runs much better but now i am getting some weeping around the head gasket. Is that due to better compression from the adjustment? And how much weeping is too much? Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Any weeping from the head gasket is too much.

Top Bottom