Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
I first I thought I was going to get into 2 strokes but I realized given my situation It was much better to go with something that requires almost no maintenance.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 6' 160lbs
2) How physical / aggressive are you? Not very aggressive, just want to have fun and stay away from injuries
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? I'll be spending alot of time bombing around gravel roads...also trails
4) Do you have any riding experience? 4 years on an 87 xr200r
5) Do you think you will race ? never
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? relatively handy around motors
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?XR
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?yamaha/ kawasaki
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? not too much 1500-2500 CAD
10) Do you live in California? No
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion.

***Currently with my 200 I find myself looking for another gear and then realizing I'm on the last one, does this show I need the 400? I'v never ridden a 250, How big a difference is there between the 200 and 250. I also want a new bike because I am sick of drums!

Thanks a lot, I look forward to your replies?

Jan 3, 2007
Dirtknobs, i think the XR400 is a better buy for the fact it only weighs a bit more and it has alot more power to grow on. The XR250 is also a great bike. I like the XR250 because it is easy to ride and the power is super easy to ride. The difference between the XR200 and XR250 is fairly big but not too much. The best bike i say is a XR250 with a thumperracing 320 big bore kit. But if you do not want to have tear it apart the XR400 i think is the better buy for your situation. I am also a drum rider and i hate them because i am constianly am replacing shoes and such. So, bottom end XR400, or at least i think thats the best.

XR250rdr

May 27, 2003
While there is a significant difference between the 200 and 250, I would go with a 400. The extra power will definitely overshadow the weight, especially if you pop for a 10.5:1 piston.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah 16 pounds does not seem too significant. Isn't there a 35 pound difference between a 125 and 250 2t? Anyway has anyone else ridden bother and have any comments for me to consider.

Top Bottom