Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
It is a 2003. I had a friend come over tonight to start it to run the gas out of the carb since it will sit for a while until my broken leg heals. He could never get it started. I have had difficultty starting the bike since day one. When the sales man was showing me all the workings of the bike before I left the dealership, i remember him telling me the bike starts real easy and then it took him a few trys to start it. I have never seen it start on the first try.

I have read my owners manual several times and have no clue. Once the bike is fired up it seems to run great. I have had several others start it and it has taken several kicks.

Any ideas? the bike has 100 miles on it.

Thanks

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
How are you starting it? There is a drill and for strokes don't realy start well without it.

Mine likes a good tug or 2 on the throttle. A few slow kicks while holding the decomp lever ( since i my engine needs freshing up I realy don't do this step much as I can kick it without the decomp lever). Then release the lever and slowly kick it until it pops out. Once your there you return the kick starter to the top and the kick it like you mean it all the way to the bottom. Usually lights buy the second good kick.

If it has been siting long I might suggest you clean out the pilot jet and the carb bowl. Start with some fresh gas. Is the filter dirty?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
From dead cold my drill is like this.
1. Choke on full
2. Compression release lever in and 12 easy kicks
3. Compression release lever out.
4. Find TDC
5. Good solid kick all the way through.
6. Repeat 4 thru 5 up to four times before going back to 1.

Once warmed it's pretty much a one or two kick ordeal from TDC.

This is on a XR284 with high compression running straight C12.

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
First thing I would do is install a new spark plug.
While it's out, crank it over a few times to air the cylinder out.
Could be a simple thing as a plug going bad.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Make sure the bike isn't running to lean or the idle is set to low. Usually the Stock XR 250's are easy starters. I'm surprised your having problems.
I would also go with Patman's drill and see if it helps out. Also if it only has 100 miles on it, it's not even broke in yet, once it's broke in it might start a little easier.

Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
I pulled the plug and it was fouled and an extreme odor of gas came out.

Can I clean the plug or is it better to throw it away and buy a new one?

Do local auto parts stores carry plugs for XR's?

I went ahead and unscrewed the bolt under the carb to drain the gas which is what I should have done in the first place.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I don't know about easier to start but it sure keeps it from detonating itself to a pile of parts. My engine was built around the premis of using C12 or something equal. When lighting up a brush pile race gas does indeed seem to really ignite easier though. :scream:

BTW pick up a 4 pack of plugs and you should have pretty much a lifetime supply ;)

George S.

Jul 2, 2002
Sounds to me like she's flooding. I kick mine with the choke on until it pops even once then shut the choke off, and always from TDC. Bump starting always seems to do the trick, even when it absolutely will not start. By all means get a hot start kit.

Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
George,

What is a hot start kit and who sells them?

I checked the plug gap and it was .025 when the factory recommends .031 to .035

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Set your plug by the manual.If you don't have the service manual get one even if you have the owners manual. You can reuse a fouled plug if it's from gas,just let it dry out.Make sure it's the plug recommended by your owners manual.Some car parts stores carry NGK plugs,I get mine at Checkers and there cheaper.The advice above looks good to me.If you choke and it starts to go but dies turn off the choke and kick it again.Some bikes,if you live in hot weather don't need to be choked.Or instead of full choke pull the choke lever up 1/2 way instead of all the way and try that.You'll have to determine which drill works for your enviornment and bike but there's only a couple of ways to try to get it.Your plug gap might have been the problem.Usually you don't need to move the throttle at all before you start it and don't twist it while your kicking.It's not hard to unintentionally do that.

George S.

Jul 2, 2002
A hot start kit is simply a small valve attached to your handlebars with a tube that runs down to a fitting installed on the intake manifold (between the carb and cylinder). This allows fresh air directly into the combustion chamber when the valve is open, effectively leaning out the flooded chamber. They are really worth the price and pretty easy to install. Xr's can be very hard to start after a fall or if stalled when hot. Another trick for starting cold is to increase the idle speed about 1/2 or 3/4 turn, then lower it again once the motor starts to warm up. Some more tips for flooded engine: hold in the decomp lever while kicking about 10 times to help 'pump out' the chamber, drain the carb (the screw all the way at the bottom of the carb, just above the hose) turn off the fuel from the gas tank until it gets running. Bump starting in 2nd or 3rd gear has always worked for me, even when everything else failed to start the bike.

Stingray

Apr 12, 2003
I have the same exact bike and I had the same exact problem. So let me fill you in on what to do. What everyone said is true and good info. But keep in mind every bike is just a little different. Here is what got mine to start in one or two kicks when cold.
First go buy a new plug, then gap it at .033 or as close to that as possible. Your have two problems when starting, one is the dealers fault, the plug gap was wrong. It was like that on mine also. The second problem is what you do when you try and start it. Make sure you are running 91 or higher octane gas.
Now starting the bike. Contrary to what some may say, it is not how hard you kick the bike. With a 4 stroke you just need to make sure you kick the entire stroke and NOT real fast or hard.
Now hold in the compession lever and kick the bike slow about 4 or 5 times. Now let off the lever and find top dead center. You will feel it catch, you will know when it's there by feel. Now this is the most important part. Hold the throttle open 1/4 a turn, then kick the bike one full stroke. If it doesn't start on the first kick, give it another kick or two.
My bike starts in one or two kicks now. I hope this helps you. Good luck and let me know if this worked for you.

Sprintguy

Jun 2, 2003
Stingray...

No kidding? 91 octane?...I guess it does make sense because of the high compression.

It will be a while before I can try this again. My Dr. just gave me permission on Thursday to put 50% pressure on my leg again. If I can get my friend over here again, I'll have him try what you say.

Thanks for the reply.

BTW...Noticed your from OK...I have family in Chelsea and I normally take my XR up there when I visit. There are some good places around there to ride.

morbidsmurf

Oct 23, 2003
i have had my 2000 xr250r since it was new. To start and xr you must do the following things.
1. twist the throttle once.
2. put it on full choke.
3. kick it 3 or 4 time untill it fires up.
4. keep it on full choke untill it starts to run funny.
5 half choke. (i ussally put my gear and stuff on now).\
6 take the choke off and go riding.
I find its inporant to just let teh bike sit and idle.
dont hit the thottle or anything.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Basic XR setup is to look at the float level and travel. Generally the level needs lowered and the travel reduced. There are some good how-tos on the internet - just do a yahoo search on "XR Float Level" and see what you get.

My experience mirror's Patmans on my XR280 and 600 - a dozen or so kicks with the choke on while pulling in the compression release seems to do it. Keep the throttle closed for 10 and open for the last 2. Then find TDC and give it a real kick. Be ready to SLIGHTLY crack the throttle after she fires.

Also they put that big idle knob down there for a reason. I crank my idle up while the bike is warming on half choke so I don't have to hold the throttle open. Once warm, re-set the idle for the riding you are gonna do.

If the bike has been sitting, particularly in a warm climate, be sure and get rid of ALL the old gas. Drain the tank and put it in the car or something. Like Patman's brush pile.

TNKDX

Dec 27, 1999
I know the original post is old but just in case someone else has the same problem I'll throw my one-cent in.

When I brought XR home the first thing I did being from East Tennessee is cut the handlebars down. The thing wouldn't start for nothing. Figured out I had messed up the adjustment on the decompression lever. I would say if the tech couldn't get the spark plug gap right then there might be some other adjustments to make as well.

I have since removed the decompression lever and cable completely. You don't need it. I believe these bikes have an automatic decompression anyway, seems the manual one is just dead weight.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
The reason my starting procedure is the same as TexKDX's is because that's who learned it to me :)

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Hey Super P -

My 280 is still down. Decided to change the rear shock oil, and in the process of removing it found some bad pivot and swingarm bearings. Then while the rear wheel is sitting there, I look over the wheel bearings... one of them is stuck too!

Can't wait to see how it runs with the ported head and HC 284 piston. Hope all is well on your end. Leo.

Top Bottom