pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Hey, I am going to get a '91 XR250 tomorrow. It starts up, but it is in need of a few parts. The guy says it needs a new rear rim and a throttle cable. He said the "rim is cracked". I didnt see any real problem except the tire is off the rim and there is a lack of a tube, but i would like to know where i could get a rim online, or if anyone here has one that would work. What could i expect to pay for one from the local parts store? It also needs a new rear fender. I would like to know what is the different between the XR250L and XR250R in terms of parts, beacuse there are 2 different part number listed for rear fenders. The bike is real cheap, so while im at it i think that i am going to get a new sprocket/chain combo, new rear tire, a new seat cover, maybe some new grips and maybe graphics. Does any one know of any good mods to do to this bike, or any downfalls it has? And are there any good websites for parts on this bike? . Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm real excited on getting this bike, and i think it will be better in the woods than a 125, this will be my first 4 stroke and my first Honda, so hopefully it turns out alright!!! :aj:

~Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:

wholman

Mar 2, 2005
xr 250

if you do buy it cheak to see if there is any oil leaking around the head gasket or where it meats the bottom end and cylinder also cheak if he has the oil at proper level if he has been running it low there are chances there probally is some damage done. one thing i do like about the xr's being an owner is that there is tones of tourq and endless power.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Don't even think about a stock rim from a dealer, it's insane. Cheap might be from an auction site or used parts dealer (lots on line). More expensive would be to get the stock hub relaced with new spokes and an aftermarket rim. Yes they do crack, mine was and hence the Excel on the back of my XR.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Well i got it last night. Its an XR200. I'm still stoked, I guess thats what you can expect for a hundred bucks. The rim seems to be alright, i'm taking it off here in a bit to check it out. What are the major differences between the 200 and the 250. Are any of the parts interchangable?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Significantly different. Grips, levers and stickers should swap out though.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
There is about a one inch crack in the rim. Is it alright to put a weld on the inside of the rim or maybe just braze it? Or should i just go for a new rim? By the way im not going to buy from a dealer. The local shop carries Parts Unlimited and only deals Polaris's.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Contact EuroGasGas (maybe Euro-GasGas or Euro GasGas).
He's pretty hip to these bikes and could probably steer you straight as far as mods go.

Mag

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I'm guessing that he is a user on this site, but i cant PM him or anything beacuse i'm not a subscriber. I've tried 4strokes.com but there arent nearly as many users on that site. Any other sties that i may try?

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
can't weld a rim w/o removing the stress of the spokes, i.e. unlacing it.
Soon as the heat sees the pull of the spokes the wheel will potatoe chip.
Check the wheel guys in the back of cyclenews, somebodies got to have a take off rim collecting dust.
200 vs 250? 1978 vs 1984.
2v vs 4v.
great parking lot racer

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
SFO said:
Check the wheel guys in the back of cyclenews, somebodies got to have a take off rim collecting dust.

What do you mean by that exactly? I cant get the cyclenews magazine around here, so the best thing i have is the website.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
What about DennisKirk.com they might have a rim for it.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
pyrofreak said:
I'm guessing that he is a user on this site, but i cant PM him or anything beacuse i'm not a subscriber. I've tried 4strokes.com but there arent nearly as many users on that site. Any other sties that i may try?
I PM'd him for you.

Maybe he'll respond to the thread.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to find a 17'' rim for it, does anyone know if an 18'' rim would work? Thank you Magellan for PMing him for me!!!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
pyrofreak does anyone know if an 18'' rim would work? QUOTE said:
Yes, but you would also have to change the spokes.

Call these guys. Buchanans spoke and wheel. 626-969-4655

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Do they have a website? Long distance calling is a no-go until I get the chance to get a phone card.
AGIAN THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
I know alot about xr250's, but not alot about xr200s.. The usual stuff will apply to your xr200...

1. pull the baffle
2. Pull the "snorkel" from the airbox;
3. remove the resistor from the spark plug cap and replace it with a hunk of copper wire.
4. Remove everything and grease it up - the rear linkage gets pretty sloppy on the 200s without good maintenance.

For the rear rim issue - you probably shouldn't try to weld it - when they are made they are welded and then forged. If you weld it - it will become very, very soft around the weld and probably just break again. Keep an eye out on e-bay for a rear wheel - there is a complete rear wheel listed right now for $100.00. It is item # 4525806140

Good luck with it!

- jeff

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
The airbox mod is done. I am not sure how to go about removing the baffle from the pipe. Also i am a little sketchy on removing the resistor and the proper procedure on greasing the swingarm linkage. Would anybody have a how-to on this? This would be my first time.

Thank You All!!!!!!!
~Jamie

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jamie.

Here ya go, www.buchananspokes.net If the link doesn't work, do a search.

Also, you may want to invest in a service manual for your bike. Shows you how to take things apart like your swingarm bearings and such. And more important, how to put things back together. ;)

The rim can be tig-welded but, as mentioned, welding will soften the heat treat. If you are only trail riding the bike it will be ok. If you plan on doing any big jumps, you may want to invest in a new rim.

Just my $ .02

Last edited:

Top Bottom