XR250R: anybody put a '96-'01 muffler on a '86-95?

TobyS

May 1, 2000
I'm thinking about doing this to improve performance (a little) without making more noise. Does anyone have first hand experience? Also, If I got an exhaust insert, how much noise does that add?

nkd

Mar 3, 2000
exhaust for xr250

I was going to get a new exhaust or tip for my 95 XR250. Everyone
suggested to just take off the baffle that is on there now. It just
has two bolts and it slides out. The bike isn't even that noisy and I
do see an increase in power. Someone also suggested to bore it
to a 300 and that is the best way to go instead of an exhaust. I just
put on a SRC fork brace too, put in stiffer springs in the front and increased
the oil level and weight of the oil. The front end works 10 times better.
I'll let you know about the power without the baffle. I am riding it in
an enduro for the first time this weekend.
Good luck
Nancy

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I believe the frames are pretty much different on the 96+ bikes. Your best bet would be to get a Vortip or Thumper Racing baffle. Bajadesigns.com has both for ~$70. They help with power, while only increasing noise output a little. For ~$220, Xrsonly.com has their Competition Exhaust pipes (tunable Supertrapp) that do very well in my opinion. I've got one on my '87 XR200, and '96 XR400. They are quite a bit louder than stock with all the discs installed, but with a fewer disks, it gets quieter, at the expense of power. Furthermore, they will recommend jetting for your bike with the pipe that will be pretty much right on. At lower speeds, the pipe is not obnoxious. It puts out a deep, throaty thump. At higher speeds it starts to scream, but nothing near the obnoxious noise 2-strokes put out.

Pulling out your existing baffle is an option, but you will have to rejet yourself. The Vortip or Thumper baffle would be my choice if I was on a budget, and Bajadesigns will probably give you a ballpark for jetting. If you have some $ to spend, go for the XR's Only pipe, it looks sweet, sounds sweet, it's tunable for noise vs. HP, and it (with the jetting) does alot for throttle response and overall HP. Good luck, and keep on thumpin'!

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
There were big changes in the engine and chassis for the 96 and later XR250, so the pipe isn't a bolt-on for the early XR250.

The earlier XR's definitely benifit from a completely different exhaust - including new heapipes. I'd look at an aftermarket system definitely for your model. There's lots of good ones out there.

The '96 & later XR250's had great stock headpipes - no need to replace them unless there's been some serious engine mods. This is why the muffler modifications really do help this bike a bunch.

Muffler mods or replacements don't help the earlier XR as much because the stock headpipes are too small.

TobyS

May 1, 2000
Thanks for the info, DualSportr. That was the input I was looking for. I have a SuperTrapp with 5 disks, and I still don't like the noise. I do like power though, even though with 5 disks it's not that great.
I could go back to stock, but I have heard that the '97 up mufflers are much better, so that's why I asked the question. I do have machine shop and gas welding capability (the "not pretty, but it'll stay together" kind). That one threaded boss that is mounted on the pipe could be a problem though, if it's not in the right place.
I'm curious about the late model headers. Will they fit my bike? How much bigger are they? I thought about aftermarket big headers, but I've heard they hurt your bottom end.
I have a 77mm big bore, with stock carb, snorkel removed, and supertrapp. I'm pretty happy with it right now, but if I could quiet it down without sacrificing too much power, that would be great.
Have you heard the difference on an early XR with the Thumper insert?

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
I thought about aftermarket big headers, but I've heard they hurt your bottom end.

Not on the earlier models, and especially not with your bore kit.

If it were my bike, I'd purchase a aftermarket headers - A quality set of headers will do more for the power than any muffler modification you can do.

You could probably modify the stock late model muffler to fit your bike, the headpipes won't fit though - the design is just too different.

I'd look to Supertrapp or White Brothers for the headpipes.

Top Bottom