Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
I have been racing the Enduro races. I noticed my bike smoking a lot. It was rebuild two years ago but it is smoking a lot now.

What do you guys think?
Performance kit.
Piston rings.
Valves.

When it was rebuilt the piston and rings was the only thing. Values many be off a little but bike runs good.

The Bike will only be worth about $1500, the way it is or rebuilt.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I always had a lot of fun on those XR's.. Personally I wouldnt put a whole bunch of cash into performance parts for it, an 87 anything has earned the right to be left alone.. Those old XR's are pretty easy to over ride the frames and boingers without mods..
Anyway, have the jug bored to the next size up, put in a oem oversized piston/ring/wristpin, replace the cam chain and guides, valves and valve seals.. Stick the new gaskets to her and bolt er back together..
If you do decide to go High-comp piston and such remember that reliabilty will go south and high octane fuel will be required..
On the other hand,, BBR makes all kind of really cool stuff for the 200..

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I rebuilt my 1986 XR250R a couple years ago with some help from Eric Gorr. It’s all stock except for a Wiseco (slightly) higher compression piston and a 2mm overbore. It now displaces 263cc and it runs much stronger than stock with just those two small modifications. It will still run great on plain old 87 octane pump gas. While it is apart, I would advise replacing whatever valve train parts are needed as Honda valve train parts seem to be pretty cheap. Consider having someone like Eric do a good head refresh job for you.

Woodsy is correct in that it is very easy to make an XR go faster than its chassis will safely allow.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
As usual Tim,, I was and am still a little confused with this one.. I know the question was asked about the XR250 but I noticed that the guys bike (in his signature) is a 200.. I was assuming he was probably refering to the 200. The 200 uses the engine to complete the frame and is MAJORLY subject to frame tweaking,,, even worse then the 250... Tell ya what though, they are both real fun scoots!!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
INCA said:
Woodsy - The problem is your chassis is not safe anymore.

Steel Man

I worry more about his ECU than his chassis

;)

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
If you want to be competitive at enduros sell the XR and get something from this decade. I know of a nice 2004 ktm 200 exc 4 sale. Happens to be mine. :)

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
Sorry on the bike info, Yes it is a 1988 Honda XR250R.
She is smoking a lot and would like to fix it. I know I will never be ridding in the Big Show for Enduros. I have not rode any other newer bikes in the woods, to see if there is a big difference.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Kzoo,, hopefully you can tell that I am the one to trust with your bike questions.. These guys cant even get enough of an accord between them to decide whether my frame is bent or my brain is warped and they have known me for quite a while..
Anyway.. being a 250 I would begin with fiquring out if the oil is actually entering the combustion chamber.. Does it foul plugs? It is possible all you have is an exhaust valve seal seeping oil into the exhaust port - as soon as the exhaust hits it pooffff you have lots of smoke..

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Most bang for the buck on my old 92 xr250 was an xr only header! found it on the net for $50 also the 280 kit helped a little. but dollar for dollar. I'd save the money for an upgrade bike, 1988 is an offley old bike?

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
Thanks. Yes it is an old bike but would the upgrade in different bike help me win more races in the enduro. The only time I get to ride now is in the events. It an XR, had good luck with them running all the time, its not the best but it runs good.

WOODSY
It does not flow plugs, runs good after it warms up, so it can idle on its own. The ring gap was .20 on the new piston rings, a little big. Another problem I messed with the values a little and I set the values with the timing. The clearance was .02 and .03. It was hard for me by myself and also I am not good with 4 stokes, like 2 stroke.

Top Bottom