BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have a really nice old '86 XR250R that my son is just beginning to ride. I have had it since it was new and have serviced the suspesion fairly regularly. I noticed during a ride yesterday that the shaft seal and/or o-ring was spewing oil pretty good so I am in the process of rebuilding the shock.

Does anyone have a good source for parts such as a seal assembly/holder, o-rings, piston rings, rubber bumper, etc? I am looking for someone who would have them in stock. I don't want to call the local Honda dealer because they will have to order them and that will end up taking a month of Sundays. I would like to have it back together for next weekend.

Thanks in advance.

Darby581

Dec 19, 2001
Don't be surprised if this is a 40mm shock, doubt if many people would have it in stock. The Honda dealer would probably be the best bet.

Mathew

Oct 9, 2001
I just recently rebuilt the same shock and to my amazement a Portland area Honda shop had a seal holder/bushing assembly in stock. It is a complete assembly with the seal, bushing, wiper, and end unit. And it was less than $20 which blew me away for a Honda part. I would try one of your local shops first - you never know.

SweepRider

Mar 14, 2002
Hey, thanks for the replies. I made several calls today and ended up ordering the parts from Honda of Troy. They said they could have them in a couple days.

I noticed that the shock body is getting pretty worn, you can feel a difference (with your finger) in the ID where the piston has traveled all these years. I am sure that I am getting more blow by than is desirable even though the piston rings are in pretty good shape and don't need replacement. I think I am going to try some heavier weight oil (ATF with a little 90wt blended in) to try and stiffen it up in both directions.

I can't see spending a bunch of money on a new shock body for such an old bike.

Any suggestions?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Oops! Posted that reply not realizing that the wife (Sweeprider) was logged in! LOL!

Top Bottom