RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Last night my speedo cut out on my XR250R 94. The problem started when I repaired a front puncture. When I connected up the speedo cable the plastic at the hub cracked. It was alright for a few days as I just push the cable in and it held together.
I don't think you can glue something like that back together.
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to fix it?
What is the name of the speedo unit at the hub and how much do I pay for a new one?
Any replies asap would be appreciated. as i don't want to get done for speeding!
Cheers

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001

Attachments

• 94xr250.gif
    94xr250.gif
    41.8 KB · Views: 201

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
You know what RMcommando, you might be able to buy an electronic speedo (like a trail tech) for less than you can repair your mechanical odo. You might also need to purchase a speedo drive eliminator too.

Probably cost about $100 (US) here:bajadesigns.com click on "motorcycle store" then "dual sport equipment" then "speedometers."

If you shop the internet you might even find a better deal.

Last edited:

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Thanks Vintage Dirt, I found a lot of useful stuff on that site. (aswell as speedo parts)
Thanks for help again, much appreciated.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Sorry Moderator,
I didn't ask him to reply to my thread and be abusive. I was only trying to prevent him from doing it again. My apologies go out to everyone who had to read those atrosities.
On a lighter note, do those electronic speedos come with the piece at the hub which is connected to the speedo cable?
Cheers in advance Vintage dirt

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Electronic speedos use a magnet and sensor similar to a bicycle speedo. I used a cheap CatEye bicycle speedo on my old XR but the wire for the sensor was too short so I had to lengthen it. Plus the sensor isn't designed for a motorcycle so it didn't bolt right on either.

Top Bottom