XR-MAN

~SPONSOR~
Sep 14, 2000
I just installed my stock late model XR4 springs in a buddies '97 KDX. It sounded like the way to go, and I already had them laying in my garage. I had a hard time determining how much preload we had as all my experience is with the XR and the KDX was a little different.

We put in the .40 late model XR springs using the original washers and the bottom washer that snaps into spring, did not use any spacer. This mad a big improvement, but I wander if we have any preload. The KDX seems to have a different top out system than my XR, so I wasn't sure about the preload.

What length of spacer is everyone using to get 5-10mm preload when using the long late model XR4 spring? Also what's the deal about a minimum spacer length and the washer going inside the spacer?

I have left over preload washers from my aftermarket XR springs, they are 1.5MM, 2MM, and 3MM thick. Can we just stack the correct amount of them under the fork cap?

Side note: I have run aftermarket Eibach and Race tech springs in both my "96 XR's and my "99 XR for 3000 miles each and never had one sag. The Eibach was same length as stock '96, no spacer needed on older XR4, the Race techs are much shorter and come with aluminum tubing to make a spacer.

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
^bump^
I am the buddy with the springs. Anyone know?

So far the bike feels great. I've ridden about 3 hrs on them now. No complaints.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You can't very well use the oem washers with no spacer as they won't want to sit straight if there is nothing between them.

Cut the spacer as small as you can (about 3/16s ") to allow the oem washers to sit next to each other and you'll have in the neighborhood of 8-10mm.

...which is likely a bit much. 3-5mm is fine. To do that, you'll need to lose one of the oem spacers. ....or use the applicable shims that a tuner would use, if you have some (as you mention).

re: what's the deal....
?? That's answered? Right?

These were changed from stock springs? What do you like about 'em...or not? What's your stoneage? (NZ for 'weight' ;) )

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Thanks for the info. The .40's replaced my stock springs. Thus far I haven't bottomed them out and the ride feels much more aggressive. With all my gear on I would guess I'm around 175lbs.

The bike will be put to the test this Sat in Charleston. :)

Top Bottom