DIRT DUDE

Jul 12, 2000
Has anyone had this happen to them on there XR?
I have a 98 XR400, I was out trail riding and all of a sudden my Carb. started to load up. When I stoped a steady stream of gas was pouring out of the carb over flow tube.The only way I could stop it was to shut the gas off. I think it might be the float but I am just not sure since this is the first time that anything like this has happened. Is this the time to have it rebuilt or is there another fix. Help!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
More than likely the float is stuck. Since it happened all of a sudden, I doubt the float level is too high. A lot of times simply tapping on the float bowl can cure it, but sometimes you have to take the bowl off to get the crap out of there.

DIRT DUDE

Jul 12, 2000
BigBore

Yea, thats what I thought,I did try tappin on it when I was on the trail, but the float would not come free. I guess its time to take it apart and clean it. Thanks

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Left me stranded in the middle of the woods. Turns out it was rubber from either the gas line or a dis-integrating aftermarket petcock O-ring. Anyway, I fixed it without removing the carb. Just remove the float bowl, using a short phillips (use a good one and be careful since the scres are brass and strip easily). Push the float bowl pin out and carefully remove the float and valve. Then take some thin wire and slide it thru the valve hole. Then turn the gas on and flush it out. Re-assemble and check to see the valve is working by lifting the bowl with the gas on. I've started carrying a short #2 phillips, just in case...

DIRT DUDE

Jul 12, 2000
ntngoat

Yea, after talking to a few people incluiding the honda dealer and a few web sites I'm pretty sure I have dirt or some other particles clogging things up. The Honda dealer suggested running a tank full of gas with
BG44K in it to clean things out. Hell I don,t know, I never heard of the stuff. I know now that it cost $20 bucks for 11 oz.And it is intended to clean the sludge and grit out of the fuel system. He said thats what they try first before takin apart the carb and they charged $65 for the service.
I might try that,who knows, it may just work. If it doesn't I'm going to do what you suggested. Thanks for the reply , thats whats makes this site so great.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
One other possibility, even if less likely, is that the float could be leaking and taking in fuel, causing it to hold open.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
there is no substitute for taking he carb apart and cleaning it. Carb cleaners cannot dissolve some things.:D

DIRT DUDE

Jul 12, 2000
Problem Fixed

Thanks for the help guys, problem fixed, I took the carb apart cleaned it good, same with the air filter and reoiled it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom