mattwr250f

Jul 21, 2002
I've been thinkin about buying and XR for a while now and I'v got a few, well a bunch of questions. All I have ever riden is two strokes but I'm really wanting to get into the reliablity of thumpers--seriously sick of rebuilding my IT465 and YZ490 (IT might be for sale in the near future if anybody is interested). I was seriously looking at the KTM's but after hearing about the constant major maintence that is needed to keep a RFS going and hearing about the rock solid XR 400 I decided that was for me.

But I have been reading on here about such things as cracked subframes from jumping??? Is this casued buy tons of motocross style and long hard jumps or from just jumping in general???

Also I am just your regular younger (17) trail rider thats not lookin to any racing for the time being but who knows. So I'm not looking to really modify this bike to hell but what mods are kinda essential??? I know air box mods and jetting is a given but what else do I need to know?? I know alot of people adjust the suspension to their preference but is it really needed for just messin around in the woods with your buddies (who are all less expeirenced then me cause I thought all my friends how to ride)

One thing I would like to do is get a larger tank and matching seat.. Also Id like to get all black plastics so what are the best tanks and plastic companys for XR's???

O and what about lighting, I plain on doin a little night riding and what do yall think is the best night riding light out there--besides baja designs huge headlamps.

Last thing...Armour...what are the best skid plates, pipe guards, frame guards all that on the market for an XR

thanks for all the help know I'm askin a bunch but I'm really wanting to know more about the XR400

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
For the riding you describe, don't mess with anything. Take a stock XR400, pop on a baja designs skid plate and just ride it. Don't need to mess with the airbox, jetting, suspension, etc. If you get into competitive stuff like enduros then maybe some suspension work if you are heavier than 160. The stock tank will get you 60 miles of snotty riding. The light is there, it is pretty poor, Baja designs has some solutions to this other than those huge lights. The stock muffler is good.

The XR is ready to ride. If you require a more bike, get a WR.

I'll see you on the trail.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Just wondering, have you ever thought about the kdx. My 200 with a few mods keeps up with my dads xr400 just fine. It's a heck of alot lighter too. the kdx is one of the most reliable bikes out there for a 2 stroke. My 97 200 just got its first top end this winter and i could have waited longer. My dads 400 also wears me out alot faster than my kdx does. But don't get me wrong the xr400 is still a great bike I love them both.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
If you're just trail riding with buddies, the stock suspension will probably be just fine for a while. As you ride it more and start pushing it harder, you may eventually feel the need to tweak the suspension with stiffer springs, etc.

The stock power is absolutely great for fun trailriding. You already know how to squeeze a little more power out of it if you need to.

Make sure you check out XR's Only web site for skid plates and black plastic (and a million other goodies). I actually put an ALoop kit on my 400 about a year ago. I also put an MX front & rear fender and an MX number plate on it (all black plastic). Can't help you with lighting because of the number plate. I purchased a Moose skidplate from a local shop and it's been great. There are tons of other guards available for brake discs and assorted parts on the engine as well.

Here's a pic of my '97 XR400 with the ALoop kit. I also posted this another thread in this forum.

Attachments

• cleanxr.jpg
    cleanxr.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 428

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
mattwr250f -

you are on the right trail with the XR400. but there is another right trail you might want to consider.

KTM makes the LC4 (liquid cooled 4 stroke) in a dual sport version and the off-road only SC (super competition) version. the LC4 comes in a 400 and a 640 (i think). anyway, that engine is an anvil and while not as hot as the RFS, it is quite a bit stronger than the XR. they are a bit lighter than the XR400 (not much, really) but they come in what is more or less an EXC chasis. they start easy (kicker is still on left side), they are easy to ride fast in the woods, and they have a wicked mid-range hit. for some reason the LC4 is not marketed very well by KTM. great bike. oil changes are a pain, but the oil seems to stay clean for a long time.

something to think about if you want to go orange.

BTW - how many rebuilds can a woods-ridden YZ490 really need? i can't imangine you even hit the main jet on most trail sections.

jeremiah

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LOL! My blood runs orange and I wouldn't consider an LC4 over an XR400! The LC4's are more in line with dual sporting where the dirt is fire roads and there's pavement sections you want to be comfortable on.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Patman
LOL! My blood runs orange

The last time I saw you bleed I coulda swore I saw red and green mixed with a little bit of rat juice. ;) :laugh:

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
patman -

you are right about the dual sport version, but the SC is a serious off-road unit. i'm not even kidding. thing is, i think most people have never seen a LC4 SC much less ridden one, and that is part of KTM dropping the ball on their marketing.

jeremiah

mattwr250f

Jul 21, 2002
Yeah I had really looked at all of KTM's line and I thought about the LC4 but I'm wanting to go kinda (low tech) bike without radiators and such to mess around with.

And as far as the YZ490...I bought the bike expecting to have to rebuild it. It was in great shape but had been well riden and just needed a regular maintence rebuild, and that was two years ago when I bought it and I just rebuilt it last weekend. Thats after a little trip to baja for a little screwing around. We didnt hit baja that hard but sometime I'd like to get maybe a CR500 and do it again.

Thanks again guys for all the info

Top Bottom