TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Has anybody run an XR400 without the oil cooler ? I know it is probably not a good idea to remove it, but I though I might ask the DRN community.
Thanks in advance,
TR

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
A company called Jagg makes and aftermarket oil cooler for the DR that mounts to the frame down tube in the from. You will need to come up with the fittings, but it might solve the problem of having the cooler behind the forks. Not sure if it would expose the oil lines to a failure in a crash, but I think they mount on the inside of the unit.

A quick search netted this

http://www.jagg.com/honda.htm

Sell your stock one for the amount to pay for this one! :cool: From the price of this one you might even come out ahead on the deal.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How are you fitting the DR fork? What triple clamps? It might make sense to find a fork setup that has a wider spread of the legs to allow you to keep the cooler.

I put KX125 USD forks on my XR284 and only have a small conflict with the SRC adapter that allows fitting the XR4 cooler assy becuase it pulls the connection to the frame out a little more than 1/2" on the right side. I plan to se about getting a custome piece machined that will allow me full lock to lock movement. I had some hoses made that almost work but the fittings are a lottle to large and won't allow installation until I deal with the custom connection to the frame.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
The DRZ fork transplant is just starting. For the first pass I will be using DRZ triple clamps. If I raise the oil cooler about 10mm I will clear the bottom steering lock lugs on the lower clamp. I suspect the XR will run fine without the oil cooler, but I will probably be wise to only run synthetics. By the way the standard forks work fine, this is just going to be an experiement.

Thanks.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by TR
I suspect the XR will run fine without the oil cooler

Wanna take bets on that? ;)

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Rich Ill bet Itll run fine untilit hits thermal meltdown . like in the DuraLube/Prolong commercials. Or he should buy a kitchen range hood and strap it to the frame rails to poin t air at the motor but that wouldnt get him through the woods too good. A used 400Ex cooler can be strapped on the left side maybe.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
You should use synthetics AND the cooler. It is not one or the other.

Honda wouldn't put that cooler on there and not on the XR250 unless the 400 needed it.

Not advised.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Yeah Highbeam I know I was just making a joke about the commercial where they do the torque wrench or scale with the metal part rubbing the rotating wheel then it stopsand seizes up. Thats what his motor will do.Maybe he can make it like a Buell and run the oil in the swingarm then the knobbys on the tire would add to the cooling affect. My guess is that a 10 scoop paddle tire would keep the oil coolest.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Alright Guys, I never really thought it was a good idea. I thought maybe someone did try it and would report the success or otherwise.

thanks.
Tom

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
I've been looking for one to install on my XR250 without having to spend $300(OUCH!!!) to get an aftermarket one from SUMMER. I don't care if you want to take it off because it doesn't match the color scheme of your truck interior...whatever...I'll take it.

Top Bottom