xr50 - front disc mod. - cable vs hydralic.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
xr50 - front disc mod. - cable vs hydraulic.

I am currently going to install a 12" front wheel and front disc brake kit on my Fiddy. I also have the BBR sp5 front forks (fyi because of the mounts)>
I would like to buy a front disc brake kit that uses the current hub, most due... But some companies, like Five-O, sell their front disc brake with their chromoly fork tubes, which I cant use since the BBR are conventional forks, not inverted. Obviously I could buy the BBR $400 kit.....BUT, I saw the storm cycles front disc kit for $190, it is a cable kit and mounts to the BBR or stock fork legs...
Does anyone have this kit, has anyone heard anything bad or good about it? Is the stopping power that much different from the cable vs. hydraulic. I figure the storm kit is pretty much like a mountain bike kit. I really like the upgrade for pulling stoppies, not so much racing.Storms add states stopping power greatly enhanced, 1 finger pull for stoppies. I see cons in that a hydraulic would have greater stopping power. I see pros in the facts that; cables can be replaced, no line bleeding, use current throttle tube/housing, cheaper..Thanks for any input on this...

Last edited:
Top Bottom