John K

Feb 22, 2000
I'm chasing an oil separator for my xr6 in preparation for a big bore kit. I'd like opinions on the necessity of this device, it's availability, and usefullness. I gather that the NX650's had one from the factory, this is one possibilty. Has anyone tried that?
Other than that I'm interested in the aftermarket type that I have seen on some race bikes over here in Australia. From what I gather they were sourced from the states by Geoff Ballard.

Also those of you XR6 riders with big bore kits, have you experienced excessive oil being pumped out the breather? If so what have you done about it?

Zodran

Mar 26, 2000
I'm not sure if this is applicable, but my xrl650 originally had a charcoal canister with all the hoses routing crankcase fumes back into the airbox. A short experiment with synthetic oil in a tired big bore resulted in some severe oil consumption and a saturated K&N.
After re-sleeving and boring back out the the max of 102.4mm for 675cc's, having the valves done, a mild cam, and going back to castrol 20w50 i didn't want to leave the crankcase vent running into the airbox. I bought a K&N crankcase breather, but couldn't really find anyplace suitable to mount it.
What I ended using was a small sintered bronze muffler (3/8" NPT) used in
pneumatics ziptied to the inside of the frame tube. It seems to work just fine tucked in out of the way and up high enough to not see any water in stream crossings. McMaster-Carr p/n 4450K3 $2.28 ea. Hope this helps

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
I had an 83 XL200 that had a separator. See if your dealer can find one for an early 80's XL. If the 600's had them you're all set.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Kramer: The XR600's dont, perhaps the XL600's are worth a look. I've found one on
a NX650 (from powersportspro.com microfiches). I'll probably end up buying that.

Zodran: I'll look into that. I work at a large automotive firm, so I should be able to
get some info on those as we use large amounts of pnuematics. Are they the small
"bead filter" type items?

Also has anybody heard of aftermarket oil separators? If so where? how much? etc.

Zodran

Mar 26, 2000
If you go to McMaster Carr's website and you have adobe acrobat you can do a search for 4450K3. Sintered bronze looks kind of like filter foam, but after learning it only filters down to 40 microns it may not be the best choice.

Top Bottom