Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I bought a '92 XR600 with some aftermarket coil on it, and the lights weren't working. Well considering that there are 5 wires coming out of the mag cover (most not connected), and the schematic only shows 2 or 3, I had to pull the cover off to find out what was up. There I found a broken ring terminal on the wires that ground the ignition coil and 2 of the lighting windings (the thing has 3 and one of them has both ends brought out of the case). Anyway I fixed that and now I am waiting on a gasket to put it all back together.

In the meantime I was wondering if I ought to think about connecting one of the other windings, or if I even could. I was looking at http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/TrailTips/XRStatorRewind.html and saw that apparently the bike has stock 4 poles wound, and this aftermarket thing has 5. There are 17 altogether, 15 for lighting and 2 for ignition. So this guy that did the rewind is using 10 as opposed to the stock 4. I am guessing this aftermarket thing goes to other bikes as well where the extra windings are connected. Maybe an XR650L?

Well I am just rambling here. Having not ridden the thing at night I won't really know and any connections I may make in the future will be to the external wires. I don't want to get into rewinding the stator manually. Not that I couldn't, just too much effort.

For the record, here are the windings and colors:
1. 2 poles. One end black/red, the other grounded. Ignition (you knew that)
2. 5 poles. One end white, the other end grounded. Goes to lighting now, where stock would have gone
3. 5 poles. One end white, the other end grounded. No connection
4. 5 poles. One end pink, the other end yellow. No connection either end

Birken
'92 XR600
'88 CR500

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Welcome to DRN. Are you also on ford-diesel.com?

Could it be a Baja Designs dual wound stator? I put one on my '88 XR600 when the stock stator died. Had two 125W circuits - bike was dual sported so I wanted the second circuit for things like grip heaters & bigger lights.

Brian

Birken Vogt

Apr 5, 2002
I am on F-D. The guy told me what it was but I don't remember (wasn't Baja Designs I would have remembered) and I am tired of bugging him, besides it is a toll call.

There are 3 windings, and only one of them is used currently. It is almost 3-phase like a car alternator. Each winding is wrapped around one post then skips 2 and is wrapped around the third. The only thing that messes with the phases a little bit is the ignition winding taking up 2 adjacent poles. There are 5 poles per lighting winding. I thought that since it is set up like 3 phase it may also have been made for a XL or XRL that has a DC electrical system and a rectifier.

Just wondering if anybody could identify it. Like I said, the only way I think is to compare the wiring, once again it has 2 white, 1 pink, 1 yellow, and one black/red.

Birken
'92 XR600
'88 CR500

Top Bottom