Micaiahfied

Feb 7, 2008
Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been around mechanical things for a long time but this is the first dirt bike that I have owned. It's a 1986 XR600. I've been reading up on the bikes and found that with any power added they tend to round the dawgs on 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. I'm sure it has something to do with the way the previous owner rode it as well...
So now to my question...

How hard is it for a first timer to split the cases and rebuild things. I have a shop and all the tools needed, a shop manual for the bike, and I am very mechanically adept. I only paid $400 for the bike (with manual and an expensive pair of boots) But talking to a local shop with a very reasonable shop rate of $35/hr He thought it would be 10-12 hrs + parts bringing me to the $600-700+ range. I don't mine putting $200-300 in parts and seal, but can't justify the labor.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance! Mark

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sounds like you are a savy enough guy to figure it out. :cool:

Read your manual. Read it again. I will explain in detail how to do the job. You may have to buy a puller or two. The puller needed for the flywheel is available from your Honda dealer. You can make a puller or case splitter tool if you have a shop. Use heat to warm the cases before splitting the cases and before assembling them. Don't go over 350 degrees. The heat will expand the aluminum cases and release the hold on the bearings.

Also, the shift forks can bend if the dogs are rounded. Check the shiny hardchrome surfaces on both sides of the shift forks. If they are bent, they will show uneven wear from one side to the other.

If you have any questions, post them in the Thumper forum.

Good luck.

Top Bottom