highcountry

Jun 3, 2001
Hello,

I just picked up a '93 XR600. This bike flat out hauls ass. I couldn't be happier. Anyway, I am having trouble dialing in the suspension. Anyone had experiences with this? The shock feels good with 3 inches and change of sag, and about middle on the dampning adjusters. The fork just isn't as confidence inspiring as the rest of the bike. Is this just a shortcoming of the model or are there some tricks? Any comments or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

For the record I wiegh 190 lbs. and ride out west on pretty fast roads/trails. Thanks!!!

arossitt

Apr 22, 2001
front suspension

Before you try anything else drain the forks and refill with the appropriate oil.If the suspension is still a bit soft you can top up the oil in small steps with a syringe.I have a 96 xr600r and this done the trick with stock springs.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
highcountry, arossitt's advice is good. Try his suggestions first. On my XR6 (a '96) I have heavier white power springs, gold valves, preload adjustable caps, and an SRC forkbrace. The forkbrace stiffens the front end up substantially, and is a very praised mod. From what I gather on this list a good suspension tuner should be able to make your forks work better than with gold valves.
They should also be able to select spring rates, and vavlving to suit your weight and riding style.

Many people consider the SRC forkbrace a must with XR6's. Personally I wouldn't be without one on mine.

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Also, a few other items that helped change the feel of my XR6's front end for the better.

- Jimmy Button Bend Renthal Bars ( given that I am 6'2" as they suit larger riders)

- Removal of stock speedo, speedo drive, speedo cable, standard headlight assembly (heavy on Aussie XR's), and replacing it with a "speedo drive eliminator" (basically an alloy spacer), Dual Halogen Headlight assembly, and a Mountain Bike Speedo. Yes it was actually noticeable after all this was done!!

- Billet one piece bar clamp.

It all depends how far you want to go. But you can just do one thing at a time.

:cool:

highcountry

Jun 3, 2001
Great responses. I'll try the oil first. Is about 3.5 inches the correct amount of sag in the rear? Also how much should the fork compress when I get on the bike? I have also heard that bleeding the air off in the fork before a ride is a good idea. Is this true? I think I will make a steering brace the next addition. The flex is definately noticable when the front hits a rock hard. Thanks again!!! Keep it coming.

Top Bottom