XR600Fan

Apr 9, 2000
Hi Guys,
I've had a bit of trouble with my transmission on my '85XR600R. It seems that the C5 gear has lost one of the engagement dogs. I found another at the local salvage yard but it is about an 1/8 inch less wide than the one that broke. Everything else is the same on the C5 gear. The opposing gear it meshes is also a little different to accomodate the thinner C5. The problem now is that the shift drum doesn't throw the shift fork far enough to fully engage this "new" gear pair. Both shift drums are identical so thats not the problem! Is this what everyone says that the XR trans had problems with and am I trying to replace it with the "fixed" gear? What else did they change and how do I fix? It is actually the second gear pair that I'm having trouble with. Did they change the countershaft a little to accomodate the thinner gear? It looks the same as the original. By the way, getting into an XR trans is no fun, especially the second or third time...

John K

Feb 22, 2000
Quite honestly, I'd stick to brand new honda OEM parts for the transmission. You may also need to replace the mating gear. Check the gearbox right out as any damaged or worn parts will have you pulling it apart again shortly.

XR600Fan

Apr 9, 2000
Thanks for the response John, I have ordered the C5 gear pair for $150 and it should be here in about a week. I am disappointed that someone didn't at least try another answer. The good news is that I can return the parts to the salvage and get my money back. It was worth $90 to try them...I'd just as soon not have to split the cases again.

Top Bottom