XR650R, CRF450X, KTM 525EXC help!!

zdub

Sep 8, 2006
which bike for the desert ?

Hi,
I’m 22 years old, 6'.25", 175 pound, intermediate level rider. I’m looking for a bike for mostly desert riding (i.e. Baja, and the Arizona desert). I will also be using this bike for long trips like riding from Mexico to Canada this up coming summer. I would also like to ride this bike to the trails from my house and around town with street tires. I have experience riding YZ125s, XR400s, and CRF450Rs. I’m looking at the Honda XR650R, CRF450X, or a KTM 525 EXC. My question is which bike is the best over all for this application. Please feel free to suggest any other bike that would also be good for me.
Thank you!

Last edited:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Any of those 3 would do you well out in the desert.

BUT.......................
It all depends on what you like.
The KTM would be good, but there arent a lot of dealers out there like the big 4 have.

The 450X is a great bike, but i hear a bit maintenence intensive.

The 650R is "dated" or so they say. and "heavy" or so they say.
BUT, when most people think Baja they think 650R.
They also make great dualsport machines.
And ive heard of these thing going for up to 50,000 miles without needing a topend rebuild.
Lets see a 450X try that one.

Ive got one & it been great fun!
LOW maintenence. Set the valves once a year, oil change once a month, & clean the air filter every 2 or 3 rides.

And remember the old hotrodders credo. "There's no replacement for displacement."

zdub

Sep 8, 2006
well i got the xr650r, the other day i did a 40 mile ride in the desert then came home and drag raced my brother on his sportser 1200 and beat him. I could not be happier with my choice.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom