4Paws

Apr 4, 2007
I am new to this site, I have recently purchased bikes for my boy and myself.....its been 10 years since I owned a bike. The last was a 97 CR500 which was god awful fast and a ton of fun to ride.....my wife wears that bike on her finger too this day! Anyhow back to my question I recently picked up an 01 XR650 that is in beautiful shape and ran well when I looked it over and test rode it. The bike has sat for quite some time and hasn't been ridden. Today I started the bike up and let it idle in the garage for about 10-15 minutes while I looked for a test light (the person I bought it from had an after market tailight turn signal set up on the bike and I removed this and I plan to reconnect the factory tailight) As I was doing this the bike started puking antifreeze on the floor and I could hear the fluid boiling....I stopped the bike immediately. I have ordered a shop manual for the bike so I have some idea what the heck I am dealing with, I dont have it yet. I grew up with two strokes and dont have a clue about the 4 strokes so its learn as I go. Could this be a bad thermostat (sticking), Can anyone explain to me how this thermostat works? Or could it be a water pump? I appreciate the help Best, Paws

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
mabe it just needs re filled and the air bled out of the system- my cr500 boiled too from this, so did my 80-
air turns to steam,and will build up untill the cap is activated ,and releast

KX'er

Oct 12, 2000
Could it have just overheated from no airflow? I'm a two-stroke guy myself, but I know with my streetbike (zzr600), it would get very hot if I let it idle more than 5 minutes or so. My KX doesn't idle. :)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
That's why motorcycles are allowed to split lanes on the highway, they overheat when they sit still because most don't have cooling fans.

4Paws

Apr 4, 2007
you know I have always owned 2 strokes, this one being my first 4 stroke.....seeing is Honda decided to stop making the CR 500 not quite sure what the difference is between the two as far as heat and after I thought about it I never did let one of my bikes idle that long without moving. I called the local Honda dealership and he stated the same thing said, his crf450 will boil over if it sits too long. I appreciate it guys........Paws

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
4paws, is your bike "uncorked"?
That is when the air intake is replaced with a less restrictive unit.
And the airboxe has 2 plugs to be removed.
Easiest way to tell is the tailpipe.
The stocker is about the same diameter as a crf50.......seriously.
So small it's laughable. The "uncorked" version is about 2 inches in diameter (roughly).
When these bikes are left bonestock they dont run worth poo, and overheat easily.
When uncorked they must also be rejetted (68 / 175 i beleive?).

Mine is uncorked and it has never overheated. Even in July in the NewMexico high desert.
You might want to check out this site if you havent already.....

http://www.xr650r.us/

also:
http://www.xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/#1a

geraldo

Oct 12, 2004
Ok, I am sure the bike just overheated. I have never let mine sit ideling that long with riding it. Another thing that you can do is get a higher pressure cap. I believe they come with a 1.5 cap and you can get a 1.8 cap that dramatically helps. If the bike hasn't been uncorked it isn't worth riding. I would suggest checking into this, there are hundreds of sites on the internet with jetting specifications and what products to use. It won't be as fast as the 500 but it does pull like a tractor.

MoonKat

Sep 14, 2006
No worries,
You just overheated.
Did that the first time my uncorked 06 was left idleing.
No airflow=no cooling.
Couple of easy fixes noted on many uncorking sites -
get a higher pressure rad cap; stock is more like 1.1; I got a SRC 1.8 atm cap. Also, they advise removing the stock thermostat as it has tendency to stick.

That's the cooling side. I think the uncorking helps - replace stock manifold with HRC manifold, remove the two airbox bits, replace carb with 68s pilot, and 175 main jet assy; and increase air flow by drilling airbox cover, plus exhaust mods.

The bike is EPA approved stock and runs very lean which adds to overheating problem. Then like they said...don't stop.

Top Bottom