xr650john

Mar 3, 2003
I'm new here. Who rides an xr650r and what mods or tips do you have? I've already done some of the usual stuff but always looking for more!

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
If it hasn't been done already, get the Honda Power-Up carb manifold, carb needle, and exhaust insert. Then pull the snorkel & restrictor plate out of the airbox, and install a 175 main jet. Aftermarket exhausts are just eye candy, and some can actually rob power. I know a lot of guys were swapping their stock carbs for Edelbrock Qwiksilver pumpers, but I never had trouble with the stocker.

Cool bikes, I'd love to have another some day.

xr650john

Mar 3, 2003
Yep, I've done those. Only I cut my exhaust tip with a hole saw instead of paying the bucks for the Honda unit. Also I'm using the stock carb instead of the sooper-dooper Qwiksilver carb. Seems to work just fine here in Atlanta w/ a 170 main and 1 step hotter plug. I have just cut two triangle shaped holes in the left number plate like the factory desert bikes have, but it's been so cold here in Atlanta it may be a month or so before I can report back on any improvements. I'll let you know what happens.

Top Bottom