FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
I have a 1999 xr70 that I am looking to get more power out of but not spend a lot of money. I was thinking maybe an exhaust and a K&N air filter would help a bit. Any ideas? I also wanted to know how much power the bike has stock and what the stock jetting is. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If you want a pipe that will actually make a bit more power and not just more noise as the majority of them do then talk to Bob at Thunder Alley www.thunder-alley.net and he can come closer than anybody else to make more power. He's made exhausts for everything from my XR284 project to my XR80 (95cc modded out), to my Pit Viper pit bike and they actually do work! Just also realize there is no cheap big HP gains out there. Little improvements are about all you can get on the cheap.

Once again I can also be a source for something you need here as well. I have Mikuni carbs, open air filters, etc... for Pit Viper bikes which just so happen should fit your 70. Funny how things happen like that huh?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
_JOE_ said:
I would get the radiator for the cr first!
Yes that would be a much better choice in the long run but kids need to have options and make their own choices.

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
I don't believe anybody ever told me what the stock jetting and needle position is. Does anyone know because I just got it running again today and it is running horribly. It is sputtering, backfiring and bogging and sounds very lean. Also, about the radiator, the bike never needed it really and ran fine all summer so I can focus a little more on the xr now.

Sep 7, 2007
get a twin air air filter then take off your seat and check if it has a snorkel if it does take it out for good or drill holes in it for more power and main jet will help i wouldnt recommend an exhaust (too loud) and if you are look to spend a lilltle bit more get a big bore you can buy most of this at www.xrsonly.com

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
It is hondatrailbikes.com. This is a good site and has a lot of cool, well priced parts. Thank you for all of the help with this and I found the stock jetting at powroll.com. Is anyone running an upgraded cam in their 70 because I am thinking about maybe buying one for a little extra power. Also, I removed the exhaust tip from my stock exhaust to see how it sounded and I love the sound. Is this okay for the engine or am I risking damage? I know powroll sells a straight through, big-bore tip for them that looks as though it does the same job as what I have done so I would think removing the tip would be fine. Here are the powroll tip and hondatrailbikes.com cam I am looking at:THRUST NOZZLE - Not Spark Arrested

No need for the spark arrestor?

The Thrust Nozzle will give you better power than running without the stock end cap. Power gains as good as or better than some complete aftermarket systems! Louder and throatier sounding than the Thrust Chamber, but still more stealthy than aftermarket mufflers. Replaces the stock spark Arrestor unit. Brushed Stainless Steel. Install with our Thrust Chamber for a more sano look.

17102NS H STAINLESS THRUST NOZZLE

TB Race Camshaft - For Stock Head
[TBW0189B] $49.00

Click to enlarge
High performance race camshaft with NTN bearings. Excellent quality and fast! For STOCK or RACE Head. Specs: .235" intake valve lift and 196 degrees of duration @ 050", .218" exhaust valve lift and 208 degrees of duration @ .050"

FMF Rider

Jun 15, 2007
Does anyone know where to get a good, correct fitting stator and plate for the xr70? The one I bought does not fit right so it is only getting intermittent spark.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
So the cool well priced parts don't fit/function properly?

If you want one that fits and functions perfectly get an OEM one, I would personally suggest Service Honda.

Top Bottom