RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Please could anyone tell me how much engine oil to put in a XT600 1990. Also, when do you check it, when hot, cold, or what? My friend desperately needs to know this as he doesn't what to seize his new bike. :flame:

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
OK, if no one will help I'll re-phrase the question.

On a 4-stroke, where the engine oil is in the frame, when to you check it? Hot or cold?

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
Hot or cold doesn't make enough difference to matter, but you have got to have had the engine running prior to checking it.

The engine draws oil out of the frame, runs it around the motor a bit, and then pumps it back into the frame. Weird huh?

If the engine has been sitting for a bit, oil may drain into the engine (from the frame) and give you a false (low) reading.

Crank it, let it run for a few minutes, shut it off, wait for a minute or so (to let the oil calm down) and check it like any other bike.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
Whatever you do don't check and add the oil without it having been run just prior. If you do you'll get a false low reading and when you top it off then run it and unscrew the cap you will end up wearing oil (it will actually build pressure in side the frame\resivoir).

Top Bottom