yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I'm beginning to look at a SUV to go to college in next fall. My sister starts driving in less than 2 mos. so we're starting to get the ball rolling on my new vehicle. As far as price, options, looks and size, I think these 2 vehicles are closest to what I want/need. I like the way the Xterra looks more, but it does seem to have less room in the back seat. However, I don't really care about the back seat that much, as long as 2 fit and 3 can squeeze. The Xterra seems to have a little more room as far as cargo space goes, but the Grand Cherokee seats lay down better, and the glass on the back door will raise by itself (not on the Xterrra) which I like. I'm being kinda nitpicky about the inside.

Anyhow, I'm looking for what people have to say or have heard about these 2 vehicles, good and bad. I would like to know if one or the other is notorious for having problems. How long should either run? I don't care that the Nissan is foreign (I drive a civic), and I'm not going to be hauling much (not more than a small open trailer, bike and 4 wheeler tops). I will be racking up the miles commuting back and forth to Austin, about 200 miles, for the next 4 years so I need something that is reliable.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
I looked at xterras a few months ago when looking for a vehicle for my wife. I felt that the xterra was one of the best values out there as far as suvs go and the 4wd is very capable. The ride will be much bouncier than a cherokee. The backseating is less but it is stadium seating and my daughter liked it the best. The xterras we looked at were considerably less expensive than grand cherokees and are less refined. I loved it. The v6 is adequate, the turbo charged v6 felt a little better but did not seem worth the extra cost as it requires premium fuel which adds up over the years. Overall I felt that the xterra was a great suv and it did put the 'sport' in suv. Great looks and great stance on the road.

She ended up getting a Lexus suv instead though.
How we went from looking at xterra to getting a Lexus I'll never figure out.

This might help for research on the xterra:
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I prefer my Nissan over my Jeep for one reason only - reliability! In every other way I liked the Jeep better - more room in particular. Don't get me wrong - I do miss my jeep(!) but when it comes down to mileage/reliability my Japanes cars always win out when it comes to driving 25,000-40,000 miles a year like I do.

When are we riding again? It will be a few weeks for me - a guy hit me head on last Saturady @ Muenster and fractured a few bones in one hand and sprained the other, so...
I'm going nuts! :debil:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
46,600 miles later, the GCL has not been in the shop (2002 model) except for brakes. It uses a lot of gas (averages 15 or so in town), but is fast. Rides great, handles well, does not have the tippy feel of some SUV's. Full time 4wd system is great, great off-road, great on road. I have zero knowledge of XTara other than comments about it being under-powered.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
They didn't seem too underpowered to me. I guess I need to drive one again. Underpowered how, under normal conditions? Pulling stuff? Explain.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
yzguy15 said:
I like the way the Xterra looks more, but it does seem to have less room in the back seat. However, I don't really care about the back seat that much.

for a young man starting college, i would think the back seat area is quite important :eek:

we are thinking about the xterra also, whats the OTD on the basic model???? also thinking about the explorer.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Okiewan said:
Tell ya what.. drive the Xtara, then jump in a GCL. :) The 4.7 V8 in the Jeep is great motor. Not just towing, I just like something to happen when I put my foot in it. But like I said, the gas milage isn't great.

I agree, the V8 will eat the Xtera - I owned the 4.0 six which wasn't to bad and pulled everything without problem(bike related).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
It's a shame the days of gas drinking V-8's are going away. There is nothing like the sound of a 3" exhaust and flowmaster 40. Next time (the Jeep is a lease and due soon) we'll be looking for something more "practical". I hate that word. We've got the pick-up for pulling the trailer so it's all good.

Good luck with whatever you get, there are a lot of nice vehicles out there.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
Okiewan said:
It's a shame the days of gas drinking V-8's are going away. There is nothing like the sound of a 3" exhaust and flowmaster 40. Next time (the Jeep is a lease and due soon) we'll be looking for something more "practical". I hate that word. We've got the pick-up for pulling the trailer so it's all good.

Good luck with whatever you get, there are a lot of nice vehicles out there.

Ditto on the v8. I had flows on my mustang 5.0 - sounded great. I just cant seem to convince my wife though that my ram hemi needs a new muffler already...lol

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I'm enjoying my Nissan (frontier) It has 21k on it now and still feels new.. Havent had any problems as of yet, besides locking my keys inside when getting my morning paper on the way too work at 4am :laugh: Go over too NissanFrontier.net i beleive there is a Xterra section too find out info.. FWIW, a freind of mine had a 95 (i beleive) Jeep Grand Cherokee, she vowed never agoin too own one..
Rick
PS.. A v-8?? I want me a Turbo charged PowerStroke :thumb:

DirtRyder03

Jul 14, 2003
I would get the Grand cherokee I personaly have one and its great, very reliable and the engine last forever(200k+ miles) wene there takin care of. the only down side is the gas milage, but if you worring about that you wouldnt be getting a SUV?

Top Bottom